PDA

View Full Version : How Religion affects Anxiety/Depression

V for Victor
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
When I first spoke to my doctor about my anxiety and depression, she prescribed me medication and therapy for me. She did, however, ask me if I believe in God, and if I go to church. I answered no to both those questions, and she encouraged me to think about God, pray, and read the Bible.

I decided to give this a shot, and it actually did help to relieve my anxiety. I did go to church for a while, but it seemed that once my medication started working, I leveled out and just didn't need religion anymore.

I don't believe in God, but I'm not opposed to the idea of a creator/supreme being.

I'm not looking for a debate, I'm just wondering what others believe, and how it affects their anxiety and depression problems.

MikeMarcoe
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm a huge believe in the power of religion to help anxiety.

Some people think of anxiety as a symptom of being disconnected from one's higher power. I agree with that, generally, at least. I think, too, that religion gives a place to anxiety and also helps us see the larger view of life. That can make anxiety abate. Things that cause us anxiety mayfind their rightful places in the universe, thus causing us fewer symptoms.

Plus, anxiety is a part of the whole spiritual growth process.

I'm a Buddhist myself. We have a strong system of meditative practices that are not tied to any kind of god or doctrinal system. I've gotten some relief from meditation, but not much. It takes a lot of practice.

justbreathe
01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey Victor.

I gave Him a chance several years ago when I was trying to straighten out my life. I was really sick for some time there, I told you in the stressedntx post before that I was having this major anxiety and seeing evil all around me and I basically felt like I would become posessed. Part of that was my OCD symptons the other is the fact that there is a spiritual war going on, a tug of war in our minds between God and satan, good and evil. That was really a scary time in my life I dont ever want to be there again, EVER.

When I allowed God to work in my life,things got better when going to church and reading the bible, praying, ditching people that were living a negative lifestyle, etc. but trouble hit when I thought I was ok without him. Like I didnt need Him any more and could do it all, life, on my own. And the truth is I cant, He keeps me sane lol. Seriously. Im getting close to Him again, (though he has never left) at this point in my life but it's not so much the religion that helped me it's just a personal relationship with him. There are times when Im feeling tense anxiety, especially at night and I will pray to him to take it away and feel a sensation that allows me to atleast sleep. Im getting better . I will tell you life is hard but it's a hell of alot easier the wiser and more Christ like you become. Have you read the book BATTLEFEILD OF THE MIND by Joyce Meyer? Thats the book that brought me to God. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more.

Oh and I also have suffered from depression, my mothers side of the family has bipolar disorder, manic. I tried suicide before becoming a Christian and though I still have my depressed moments its not NEARLY as intense and I could NEVER take my life, I am not on any meds.

jitters
01-30-2007, 02:29 AM
I was prior to my illness christian, I tried turning to the bible in my hour of need but found issues, inconsistancies within the Bible. So I looked to the other world religions for answers. I found buddhism, especially zen buddhism a very comforting and logical religion and read a great deal of literature on the subject but as with christianity I just couldn't buy into it long term. Then I became agnostic beliving in a God just not the God as the major religions taught me. Now I have become an "Athiest".

Being an athiest in the UK dosent have quite the stigma that it has in the US of A. However explianing my position takes some doing, with the great many people indoctrinated into thier specific religion at birth.

Perhaps I am wrong but the popularity of an idea does not prove its truth.

I have produced a website on the subject: www.godless.org.uk (http://www.godless.org.uk)

Please do not be offended by my beliefs I respect every human beings right to believe whatever they wish. I just dont feel I can pretend to believe in something I dont genuinely believe.

Duncan

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

stressedntexas
02-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Battlefield of the Mind is an excellent book. Here's what I've found. I've had a very close relationship with God since childhood. I pray, I go to church sometimes; however, I'm not a fan of organized religion. I belive in having a close, personal relationship with God. I think here's what happened with my situation somewhere along the way. I had issues that I didn't know how to pray about. I would ask God to take certain thoughts, feelings, etc. away that I didn't want. I never in a million years thought that maybe he didn't want to simply "take them away." Maybe he wanted me to figure out why they were there and work with Him to resolve them. Had He simply "taken them away" as I'd asked, then what if I were to have run into someone on the verge of ending their life? What would I say? How could I relate to them to where they connected with me and listened to me? Here's an example. After I started posting here, I started talking to my mother (as I've mentioned in a previous posting) and then my grandmother. I found out that my grandmother had secretly commited herself years ago to a mental institution. And only 4 days ago, I told her what I've been going through and what I have been talking to you all about. She said she's had thoughts like that for years but was too ashamed to say anything (just like my mother told me recently). Then, she broke down and cried. She talked about things she'd always been ashamed of-her and my mother both. I think God can work through people too. I think he worked through me that day. I'm glad God didn't answer my prayer to "make the thoughts go away." My grandmother said she felt free-finally in her 70's!!! If had to suffer through rough times so that other people could get relief, then so be it.

I do think that without my relationship with God, that I wouldn't be here today and think that God works in mysterious ways. I dont' think it was by accident that with all of the anxiety hits when I searched online, that this website was the one I posted my issues on.

I respect other people and their beliefs as well as their right to disagree. I never debate people's beliefs like this, but those are my hearfelt opinions-since you opened it up for discussion. :)

duddits
02-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Actually I would like to start attending church, but my fear of having people walking me while i walk (I have social anxiety) prevents me from doing so. So for at hte moment, I watch the church programs on Tv.

Auron
02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I've tons of inspiration from the band MetallicA, and though from the name, they aren't evil or satanic as people may assume. Music has been my cure for anxiety, and though i dont believe or pray once so ever, i find thinking about religion very....confusing and stressful since there are so many religions...beliefs....

jitters
02-10-2007, 11:26 AM
It is a difficult subject it is true. I love rock too :)

Music heals the troubled soul.

Duncan

juliana
02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Music is incredibly helpful to me. When I'm in a crowded mall, or the grocery store (places where I'm most likely to have a panic attack), I wear my iPod and focus on the music. It takes me to a calmer place and keeps my mind from racing and worrying about having an attack.

Like Jitters, I'm an atheist. I believe my religious upbringing was the root of some of my anxiety problems. I went to a church that preached a lot of scary stuff and I was a little girl who worried constantly about armageddon. I stopped believing in the teachings of that religion when I was 12 and by the time I was 19, I realized I didn't believe in God.

I was severely agoraphobic for over 4 years -- too scared to leave my flat. Every time I tried to talk to my mother about how I was feeling, she would just tell me to pray. She has good intentions; she has a strong belief in God and I respect that, but I can't force myself to believe. Having someone tell me to pray in a God I didn't believe in wasn't helpful. I just wanted to talk to someone about the pain I was in and feel understood.

If faith -- in any god, religion or belief system -- brings a person comfort and strength, I'm all for it. It's a very personal choice.

Nick F
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah, i would call myself agnostic

we, as humans, cant really even begin to understand the universe around us. i remember this one quote that compared humans to "rats in a cardboard box, being fed lies" in terms of our understandings of the universe and existence itself.