PDA

View Full Version : What does your pain feel like?

atom
01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi all

Ive been diagnosed with having anxiety as I get pains all over my body from my toes to my head to the tips of my fingers. Im having them now as I write this in left thigh and both upper arms, they actually bouncing round my body whilst ive written this but im not panicing.

I have spoken to my doctor who took some blood tests (which turned out ok) and told me there is no other disease with gives you pains all over your body in the way I discribed them. She then diagnosed anxiety, I also have a history of depression.

I was so worried about dying of a heart attack or blood clot as I also suffer from pins and needles in my hands and feet, as well as having extremely cold feet and calfs to the point where I cant feel my feet sometimes (but i think that is either through smoking or hereditary, or sitting in the same place for to long i dont know). I still dont believe the doctor if im honest as i just dont understand why i would get these pains when in sat watching tv or on the computer? nothing bothers me when im at home, im not scared or panicy what so ever, they happen when im absolutely fine and feel relaxed. I dont generally notice them when im physically moving and doing things.

Overall the pains only last a few seconds and then go, sometimes its just minor that doesnt hurt, but sometimes they can throbb but still only for a few seconds. They sometimes bounce around my body and/or can keep appearing in the same place. I seem to have hot spots where the same pain continues. The frequency is also very up and down. Some days i get very few and other days I get them all the time but mostly when its night time and when im relaxing and the temperature is dropping in the house, (this made me think maybe its a circulation problem or a combination of anxiety and poor circulation). 99.9% of the time they dont scare me although sometimes particulally in my chest and legs they can be so strong and frequent that i do panic and have to get out of bed when im trying to sleep. This has led to many nights where ive had very little sleep if any. Ive seen more sun rises than a milkman and ive spent many nights awake and have then not gone to bed untill the next night.

The pain to me is an internal pain, its not like someone pinching your skin its definately internal. Rubbing my leg when they are frequent in that area doesnt help although moving does, which also confuses me. Wether the moving is taking my mind off it or not im not sure but it generally does help. God this is hard to discribe and write down.

Can anyone else discribe the types of pains they get and how it feels and fequency etc? i would feel so much better if i could compare myself to someone else and maybe i could learn to deal with this better if i knew i wasnt going to die. I know the doctor is more qualified than im ever going to be, but it still doesnt reassure me.

I never feel sick or dizzy although i do sweat way more than any other person i know, but particually when im going out and have done for years. The only way i found to stop me sweating is when i drink alcohol, although ive never used this as a cure.

Thank you very much in advance.

ladyashley
01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I can't offer an good advice, however I can say I am experiencing the same type of symptoms as you. I get pains all over- I wrote a post down below about this one particular pain i get in my left arm. It's so annoying- and I know what you mean about the pain being internal. I also get bad pains in my chest from time to time which are very scary- luckily they usually don't last for that long.
Like you, I also always think the worst about this pains and tingles like they are blood clots or a heartattack coming on- I just have to remind myself I have had ekgs, bloodwork, and a bunch of other tests done and nothing bad has been found! It's almost frustrating when the doctor says everything is normal (not that I want something to be wrong with me) but I just want answers!
I just get so confused with the pains in my body- they are so random one day my leg will hurt the next day my arm will- or maybe even nothing will. So although I can't offer you any answers as to why this happens i can assure you that you are not alone!

atom
01-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanx for that, i did read your post and a fare few others, but knowing its the same pain is confusing as its hard to describe and i hadnt read anyone go into detail. I do feel a bit better knowing that others are in the same boat (and i dont mean that nastily) i just find it really weird all this and even though ive seen the doctor its just hard to take in and believe in what youve been told.

Thanx again.

amarkb
01-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I felt I should reply because i have had, and still do have the same pains you mention.

I'll describe them as i get them.

The pains can vary but generally I get shooting pains in my arms, legs and head. Mainly in my right arm from my elbow down my forearm, but also in the tops of my arms. It feels like it's inside my bone, rather than on the surface. Sometimes it's a dull throb, again mainly around my joints in my right arm and knees.

The most unsettling ones are in my head, I of course asssume it's a tumor or something, which deep down I know it isn't.

They seem to happen when even when I'm relaxed but I live a lot of my life in a state of anxiety so it's hard to know what relaxed feels like to be honest.

They are worse the days after a particularly bad anxiety attack.

I have to say that when i've had a good period of no anxiety theyhave gone. I don't notice them when I exercise too.

I put it down to exhausted muscles from tension and adrenaline. I suffer from tension headaches too and think the two are related.

The key is to believe the doc and accept that it's nothing to worry about.

Easier said than done.

Take care,

Adam

jitters
01-29-2007, 03:50 AM
Sorry I dont get pains these days but I have had mostly in my stomache and head.

I hope you feel better soon.

Duncan