PDA

View Full Version : Helping a partner with social anxiety

Summer Solstice
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
My boyfriend has social anxiety... mine hasn't really manifested itself socially, but I do prefer to be with him than in groups.
Is there anything I should be doing to help him? When he wants to stay in, I don't push back... we just stay in. If he wants to participate in avoidance behavior, I don't discourage it. This has only become a problem during family events. But now since we are talking about marriage I want to be able to support him.

hopeNfaith88
05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Definitely help me out. Avoidance on his part will only allow the social anxiety to grow and grow. Unfortunately to gain control of all anxiety and phobias, you have to take it head on and be willing to make yourself uncomfortable because it does get better.

I have a social phobia that turned into full blown agoraphobia. Didnt want to leave the house for days on end it was so depressing. But this forum helped and my girlfriend helped me when we were around each other (we dont live together) but she would always make sure i did one thing a day to face my anxiety. You should help him (dont be forceful or anything) by saying "today lets go get drinks with friends" or "lets go do this with my family" just get him back out in the world and doing things. Theres no way his social phobia can get worse if he keeps fighting it. Especially with getting married, you dont want this to affect your family or to prevent you from having a healthy happy marriage. Definitely get him to a therapist you can go with him too. Always let him know you support him and just want him to be happy. We all know how unhappy living with anxiety can be. I love therapy its helping me immensely. Maybe even a benzo would help to calm him down if he doesnt already take one. Its time to seek professional help when your daily life is interrupted. Good luck to you both :)

alankay
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Where is he with treatment? Alankay

Sentao
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Maybe he could try some EFT it will help him to be relaxed and calm when he is socializing with other people. The one thing that's important to remember is a person must like other people and must enjoy the connection he makes with other people if socializing is to become an effortless act.