PDA

View Full Version : New and fairly sick of everything, which is just not me.

05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Dearest Forum,

I thought i'd sign up after recently being diagnosed with anxiety and looking for some solution that is not just tablet related.

I've probably suffered from anxiety related difficulties for years (I'm 38) and would like to see what others have suffered from and their approaches to dealing with it.

Symptoms have been getting slowly worse until I had a bit of a meltdown with my Boss a couple of weeks ago, which I knew just was not me.

He's ok, thankfully, and i'm currently off sick with it (7days so far, with another 7 togo) Been on citlopram for a couple of years and the doctor increased my dose from 20mg to 30mg.

I'm a very big lad, 6"5' and most definitely the wrong side of 20stone, eating I suspect is also symptomatic of the problem. But i've been getting that under control and in the last year i've losed 4 stone.

So, Irritable internally angry, self harm when the frustration/anxiety just get too much (I'd guess about twice a year). I also take Cod oils, Garlic, Vitamin B complex - all suggestive to help nerves and mental health.

So what is the experience of the forum and what/if any advice would you suggest? I've been put forward for CBT but that could take a while.

Also what is the likely response from employers? [I realise this is likely to be massively varied]

Thanks and best regards,

Buttercup
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
These days anxiety/depression is so common and the workplace is a lot more accepting of these conditions than they used to be. There are so many anti-discriminatory and sickness laws and policies in place that employers tend to be very understanding and follow correct protocol as they can get in legal trouble if they do not. In my experience, larger organisations that have HR departements tend to be better than smaller organisations with only one or two managers. So long as you have a sick line then work has to be understanding and help aid your return to work when you are ready and put in place any measures that will make your return to work and retaining your employment a success. For instance larger organisations often have occupational health that you can be referred to along as offering counselling services. Most organisations will be very willing to offer a phased return and alter duties and hours to suit the employee. While this is not always the case it should be and there are various employment laws etc that can be brought up if the employers are being a**holes.
When was your citalopram dose increased? I went up from 30mg to 40 awhile ago and it took a few weeks to notice the effect. The CBT will no doubt be really helpful but while you wait for the appointment is there anyone else you could see? A counsellor maybe or another professional that could see you more quickly? There are many private counsellors that are not on the NHS who could see you sooner. It's usually around £35 a session (unless you go to a private pysh which is unfortunately much more expensive). I am seeing a private psycho-therapist at the moment who is working wonders with me and my anxiety and I have found her to be better than the psychologists i saw on the NHS.
It could be an idea to look up relaxation exercises on the net and try some of them out.
B x

05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks ButterCup

I think in terms of my employer they would rather I take time off and come back fully up to speed than keep
being all over the place.

I'm worried about what triggered it to go so critical. It's always been at a certain level. But the last year has seen a drip-drip-drip of stress and I *think* this has triggered it. At least that is what i am telling myself, or trying to convince myself I guess.

£35 a session seems a good idea, I'm going to look into that as well.

Thanks for the reply, it's most welcome.

Best Regards,