PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your mind off sickness

MJA330
05-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey everyone,

First time poster. I have been sick the past week with an upset stomach and now I have it in my head that I will throw up during my high school graduation activities, specifically the awards night tonight because it's 2 hours long. The thing is, I haven't thrown up nor will I but I get nervous, feel sick and sweat. I eat peppermints, take pepto-bismal (spelling) and that can help. It's weird, public speaking doesn't bother me, but sitting in an auditorium does. How can I keep my mind off this so I can just enjoy myself?

MJA

bhamlaxy
05-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I'd come up with a short response to tell yourself that you KNOW to be FACT. For example, "I haven't thrown up nor will I. I am just nervous about it, but there is no reason it would actually happen." Just really try and ingrain that in your head.

Besides that, you can just try and focus on whoever is speaking, or different parts of the crowd. If you find yourself dwelling on the negative thought, focus intently on what the speaker is saying, what you think about it, how it relates to your life, etc. Just immerse yourself in other things- Look in the crowd and see if you can find anyone you know, look for friends, etc.

Buttercup
05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I used to be like that and still am to an extent. When I was at university I would be happy doing presentations and public speaking- I almost enjoyed the rush it gave me. However when it came to lectures and sitting in large auditoriums for events I was incredibly anxious- sweaty, hot, heart racing, sore stomach and so on. I used to always sit in aisle seats and near the exits/toilets. I think for me it was to do with being unable to control the situation I was in and having to sit fairly still. I would do what the last poster said- focus intently on the speaker. I would also try and keep my breathing slow and steady and remind myself that I would be able to leave the situation soon.

bhamlaxy
05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
And another thing is to remember that even the WORST case scenario is not that bad. Even though it's NOT going to happen, if you started to feel really nauseous and had to throw up, you would just have to get up, walk out, and come back in. Would it be slightly embarrassing? Sure. But you would just have to say "sorry I need to use the restroom" as you move across the aisle. No one would remember "that kid who went to the bathroom!" or even talk about it.

See? The absolute worst case scenario, that would never happen, is hardly that bad at all!

MJA330
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone! It's true that if something happened, i'll never see half these people again! I feel good right now and i'll take a pepto-bismal and try to enjoy my evening, it should be fun!