PDA

View Full Version : Lightheaded when standing?

megd
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Does anybody else ever experience this? Could it possibly be from anxiety? When I go from a sitting to standing position (usually just in the morning) I become lightheaded. I recently had an EKG done & bloodwork. It all came back fine, except I had low iron...

JAug
05-29-2012, 09:34 AM
This is very common and is harmless. When you stand up the blood temporarily follows gravity and goes into your legs. Your body's response is to increase heart rate slightly and tighten the blood vessels in your legs.

I used to get it really bad to the point my vision would turn to black (never passed out from it).

I would only be concerned if you pass out from it. But, from what I've been told you either almost always faint from it or don't.

megd
05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Thank you for the response! That makes me feel a lot better :)

anxiousmess
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
i get it alot too!
low iron plays a part in it, so does anemia.

i get it to the point my vision goes black alot too!
mine is down to lack of eating i think. well, it's worse on days where i eat less i know that much!

JAug
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
I've noticed, ever since i've put an effort into good hydration, it's 95 percent better.

Buttercup
05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Totally normal- even folk without anxiety get it. Try moving into the standing position more slowly and as other poster's said keep hydrated and eat enough.
Did you get iron tablets for the aneamia? That should help too.