PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS AGORAPHOBIA

klb
08-13-2005, 08:14 AM
WHAT IS AGORAPHOBIA

Source: http://www.anxietypanic.com/agoraphobia.html**

The term agoraphobia has been widely misunderstood. Its literal definition suggests a fear of "open spaces". However, this is an incomplete and misleading view. Agoraphobics are not necessarily afraid of open spaces. Rather, they are afraid of having panicky feelings, wherever. these fearful feelings may occur. For many, they happen at home, in houses of worship, or in crowded supermarkets, places that are certainly not "open".

In fact, agoraphobia is a condition which develops when a person begins to avoid spaces or situations associated with anxiety. Typical "phobic situations" might include driving, shopping, crowded places, traveling, standing in line, being alone, meetings and social gatherings.

Agoraphobia arises; from an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before. Once the panic attacks have started, these episodes become the ongoing stress, even when other more obvious pressures have diminished. This sets up a "feedback condition" which generally leads to increased numbers of panic attacks and, for some people, an increase in the situations or events which can produce panicky feelings. Others experience fearful feelings continuously, more a feeling of overall. discomfort, rather than panic.

A person may fear having anxiety attacks, "losing control", or embarrassing him/herself in such situations. Many people remain in a painful state of anxious anticipation because of these fears. Some become restricted or "housebound" while others function "normally" but with great difficulty, often attempting to hide their discomfort.

Agoraphobia, then, is both a severe anxiety condition and a phobia, as well as a pattern of avoidant behavior.

**this site (anxietypanic.com) lists the official source as: http://www.NIMH.NIH.GOV

Rhetoric
07-25-2011, 08:54 AM
My doctor diagnosed me as having agoraphobia coupled with social anxiety.. I'm told the two often go hand-in-hand. For me, I have "mini freak-outs" (what the typical psychiatrist would call a panic attack) whenever I'm in a large public place such as a mall or outdoor setting only when there are tons of people in close quarters, having to try to walk through the crowd, dodging people.. My heart starts to race, I have this sudden "fight or flight" restless feeling like I must escape.. usually also accompanied by a shortness of breath, which serves to raise my anxiety levels even more. I don't usually go outside unless necessary (trips to the grocery store, gas station, hardware store, etc. I've very often described myself as being a "homebody". I won't leave my house unless I have good reason to. Only recently I was presented with the idea that this might not be a normal behavior. Heh. "who knew"?

Anxiety beater
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi Rhetoric - just because you've got a diagnosis, don't start thinking you can't be cured - people DO get over agoraphobia and social anxiety, there's no reason why you can't achieve a full recovery - you need to get help to find solutions that will work for you (and I'm afraid pills alone won't be the answer!) - don't let anxiety rule your life as it did mine for over 30 years! Seek help to overcome your anxiety - it really can be done! I wish you well.

Martintlane
10-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi Rehtoric
Agoraphobia is not really a fear of wide open places, neither is it a fear of congested areas. Whilst these types of problems might be present in an individual as well, agoraphobia is actually a concern with being too far from your own personal comfort zone, in spite of the crowd. Many individuals welcome guests in to their homes, regardless of the fact that they tend not to leave. Agoraphobics generally must have total command of a situation. Try a steady strategy of exposure to the outside world. Take things slowly, practicing breathing exercises will help you control your breathing while you are out

caera
11-07-2011, 06:41 AM
It is a condition where sufferer becomes anxious in environment that is unfamiliar. Agoraphobia is more common in women than the men. The reason behind this is, women being more likely to seek help.

shanrocks8
02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I am no doctor but have dealt with a similar problem for years. I think your primary problem is anxiety ( intense fear or nervousness or worry spun out of control ). Anxiety can cause numerous body symptoms and one most common is irritable bowel syndrome which in turn is causing for what sounds exactly like agoraphobia ( not doing or avoiding certain situations or all situations in fear of something ). In your case a BM. I was very agoraphobic in fear of having an anxiety attack in a public place. Your gonna have to let go of the fear and deal with it. the more you avoid things and outings the worst it will get. Start slow and try to go to places where a bathroom is nearby. Trust me, you have to be strong and face it and it will get better sooner then it will get worse

vonnhelsing
02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Agoraphobia kept me literally stuck in my room for about 3 weeks. everytime i'd try to step outside, i'd start sweating and get major panic attacks. i had missed work for the entire time and i was scared to get fired so i told myself screw this and i just went outside and walked to the grocery. i thought i was going to faint and when i reached i had to sit down cause i was shaking so badly. but i made it home. it was a small step but it really helped me to get over it. you need to start with little steps. leave your house everyday for a longer period each time. you gotta just understand that anxiety won't hurt you or make you faint in public. it's soo hard in the beginning but if you wanna get over it you gotta face your fears. unfortunately for agoraphobia the only thing that'll really work is shock therapy. very unpleasant but really works. :) i am now able to go to places i used to go. still cant get on crowded buses though. am working on it. :)

alankay
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Rhetoric, keep in mind all patients will have a different course and treatment as well as variation on how, when and degree of anxiety they will feel. There is no one way for all to go about handling life with an anxiety disorder(as opposed to anxiety that is transient due to extreme stress or psychological conflict).
That being said if you can cope with the anxiety(how much you feel and can tolerate varies), anxiety will diminish if you keep confronting the feared situation. For those than can bear that I encourage them to. Others will need to use all therapies to manage their anxiety including meds, CBT, psychotherapy, education on anxiety, etc. This is all highly specific to the patient. Keep that in mind. What works for one will not for all. Work with your docs on your path. Alankay

miss_mac666
02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
wow i never knew what it really was but reading all of this sounds exactly like me... what do i do? tell my doc or what?? effin ay

salevietasia
08-24-2012, 08:41 PM
My doctor diagnosed me as having agoraphobia coupled with social anxiety.. I'm told the two often go hand-in-hand. For me, I have "mini freak-outs" (what the typical psychiatrist would call a panic attack) whenever I'm in a large public place such as a mall or outdoor setting only when there are tons of people in close quarters, having to try to walk through the c

binky
08-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Rhetoric? Im on Paroxitine for my anxiety and totally understand about panic attacks :) My last really epically bad one? I was convinced I was going to die and scared the heck out of my neighbour but he looked after me and calmed me down as was throwing up my stomach lining....blick!!!

Thing is I can usually calm myself down and talk myself out of the onset but my last two? Theyve been epically bad, hence why I hate going outside. I can totally recommend talking to a therapist though :) They do help!

I dunno, I hope youre ok though :)

ananxiousgirl
10-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Check wikipedia, it explains well.

Dmarie83
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I had no idea that this is what I have been dealing with, along with social anxiety, phobia, and depression that I know of. Im in rough shape

Animal46
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Man, agoraphobia is rough stuff.

r5401
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Rhetoric? Im on Paroxitine for my anxiety and totally understand about panic attacks :) My last really epically bad one? I was convinced I was going to die and scared the heck out of my neighbour but he looked after me and calmed me down as was throwing up my stomach lining....blick!!!

Thing is I can usually calm myself down and talk myself out of the onset but my last two? Theyve been epically bad, hence why I hate going outside. I can totally recommend talking to a therapist though :) They do help!

I dunno, I hope youre ok though :)

I am really suffering I'm seeing a counsellor which is helping but I've only started I've had different symptoms of anxiety from palpatations to constant body twitching more in my thighs I cannot sleep and when I do I'm doing it in my sleep I kicked my husband in the back last night my gp won't give me medication because I'm asthmatic they have told me about breathing techniques but I can't focus when I get an attack I'm worse flying can't breath sweating and I can't stop crying as petrified of flying I'm thinking if taking a course for that. I know probably everyone had experienced similar symptoms my husband doesn't no what to do when I have an attack and I do find it worse with lack of sleep hope someone can give me some advice I have had to resort ordering Valium from the net to cope in severe situations but I don't want to be addicted to these but I find they work slightly but there have been times they made me worse like I wasn't in control of my body like I'd left it such a weird frightening feeling

binky
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
God I dont blame you, as it is horrendous to say the least when the youre in the midst. What dose of Paroxetine are you on again? Ive had my dosage put onto 40mg as well as 40mg Propane tablets for when I go out (Propopaolol but cant usually spell/say it so call them Propane!)

I had a nerves attack today/this morning as in retched into my sink and my legs went crazy shaking but had to go out as needed food and loo roll...I live by myself so have to do my shopping. Luckily all my shops are within my 1mile saftey/comfort zone. I forced myself to do it and kept burping from my stomach being nervous and wanting to puke!!

Thing is I did it. If I can? You can too eventually :) Its gonna take time and working out with therapists and meds :) So take it easy and relax, dont stress as I would recommend asking your Doc about Propranolol....had to google that!!...as they will help will shakes and helps me to be non-pukey :) ...though thatcould be a placebo effect!

Lin
04-10-2013, 11:35 PM
This time my depression and anxiety has made me not want to go out. My favourite weekend is get in from work at 5pm on Friday and not leave the house until 8am on Monday. If I did not go to work, I would not go out at all. Even though I manage work I have not had a social life for over 2 years because I don't want to go out. I am able to go to groups like meditation groups and to NHS and REC courses easier with strangers, than meeting colleagues from work or friends socially. So can understand anyone who gets agrophobia - I think it is really easy to get the symptoms of this when depressed or got anxiety.

blondieqtpie
04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm normally outgoing but when I have anxiety/panic I become agoraphobic a lot. It totally changes me. I think it's a normal Reaction with anxiety issues. Maybe find an outlet of you need creative expression or social interaction... Online games, role play ( imaginative and creative ... Not sexual... Unless you are into that), painting, a blog or anything... Especially online as you have many options to interact with others. Find your niche.

JennaHaagen
04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi,

My name is Jenna Haagen and I'm currently a freshman at Arizona State University. For my English assignment, I chose to research about Agoraphobia and Panic Disorder. I have done some research, but one of the requirements is a primary source. So, I was hoping I could find someone to interview over Skype. If you are interested, please respond and we'll work out a way to get in touch. Thank you so much!

Lin
05-02-2013, 01:42 PM
During one of my bouts of post natal depression I went through an agrophobia stage and I literally only felt safe in my bedroom. It was after I had given birth to my son in the November so I was off work. Me and my husband went to one shop on a Sunday when it was quiet and I had a list from their catalogue of what I wanted to buy and then spent the next couple of weeks leading up to christmas wrapping the presents and writing the cards, all in my bedroom. I only used to come down when my husband came home, and since he worked away Mon - Fri then me and my son spent a lot of time upstairs.
During further bouts of post natal depression after a miscarriage I had in my mind bringing the baby home because it was late before we realised we had no baby. That time I hated being in the house because I pictured it with the new baby and there wasn't one.
This hormone imbalance because of age since 2011 I have gone back to the agrophobic feeling. Apart from getting myself to work, my favourite weekend is being able to get home by 6 pm and not go out of the house until 8am on the Monday. I would spend every day in my house on my safe settee, but have pushed myself to go back to work as I do not want to lose this job because of illness and then when my hormones settle down and I am OK, that I really regret losing my job. A huge struggle but determined to keep working - sometimes I lie on the settee crying before I leave the house, and then cry all the way to work, but then manage to not show anything wrong and do a day's work. No energy left at the end of the day for home life though so husband dips out and has to do most of the cooking etc.
So I think that with depression all sorts of phobias can appear and not always the same one.

locksey
08-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi,

My name is Jenna Haagen and I'm currently a freshman at Arizona State University. For my English assignment, I chose to research about Agoraphobia and Panic Disorder. I have done some research, but one of the requirements is a primary source. So, I was hoping I could find someone to interview over Skype. If you are interested, please respond and we'll work out a way to get in touch. Thank you so much!

Only just seen this so a bit late now , It's where you don't like been in big open spaces like parks etc

locksey
08-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Only just seen this so a bit late now , It's where you don't like been in big open spaces like parks etc

That's how it is with me anyway .... It's been away to far from my car etc and everything is just big and open and there is nowhere to go

Ponder
12-22-2013, 01:05 AM
It's a normal human reaction to a shrinking world - it a consequence to a growing action that seems will never cease! Looking to escape from crowded places with little room is NORMAL - whats not is making taking these otherwise natural instincts and turning them into some kind of crisis conditions that warrants all sufferers to be termed problematic individuals in the way of an otherwise sort out higher population to feed the offering bags and turn the wheel.

It's yet another symptom in a long list that beckons to be the new label to which we all can cling too and keep us enslaved with yet a new identity. ;)

1Bluerose68
02-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Trust me, you would know it, if you had it.

1Bluerose68
02-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Well, I know I am just a bit too careful in this so called, "Shrinking World" as you call it. My life is microscopically managed and controlled by my personal,"Comfort Zone." I feel as though I will dye if I had to live my life any differently.

I am sensitive to weather conditions, to smells, to rough attitudes, to crazy, madd dogs, to Not traveling as i once did when I had a co-pilot , next to me in the passenger's seat.

It's esp different for me since in my 20's I was planning on marrying my 1st serious partner in life, but after things changed, and my life just became a bit more tight and limited in many ways. And to find out that my 1st "True Love" was found dead(and i say this on Valentine's Day too), makes me that much more afraid of living my life to its fullest ALL by my Fricken Self.

I don't see new people like i once did in college, many women marry the men they meet during college, this was my 1st 1/2 of my life story. But after college things got tight, there were decisions to be made, and my former Love didn't want me in his ,"Big Picture" of how he wanted to live his life to the fullest.

1st he broke up w/ me, after i had just graduated from grad school and was interviewing for a ,"City Job." Then, after trying so hard and just NOT making the role for the job of My Dreams, in spite of 3 yrs experience like my other friend who landed the job I wanted so badly, but it helped in his case that he was asian, though he didn't speak any dialect of that sort, and 2ndly he was gay. Well, I was neither of the above, but we both had gone to the same grad school, had very similiar training experiences, and he was chosen over me.

So, when I had to move on in my life after The Break-Up, I really had to Binge on friggen Humble Pie in the eye of a 4 eyed gal. Then I just went back to working in my original profession as I had as an under grad graduate. My life stayed very , boring, simple, and uneventful, except for my parents passing away on me just recently.

So Now I find myself , like that test ? while under stress I focus extra intensely, and just get the job done, in spite of low energy, or a bad day, or whatever.

Now I am a bit worried of what I shall do about a newer car. My car was passed on to me from my parents. It's an 89 but always was taken care of very well. I am anxious in having to choose, eventually a newer car, or a new car, and so I must save my money up so I may be able to purchase a newer car sometime soon.

Perhaps in a year or 2, down the road or so???Thats the true and simple story of my friggen life, or lack there of it. And to me, it feels pretty darn Agoraphobic in my oppinion. However, none of my Dr's even Listen to my self diagnosis or past hang ups which helped to put me in this, "Uncomfortable Zone of Life."

1Bluerose68
02-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Do kids get this problem too, 1 day at the mall this lil kid just dropped to the floor and began screaming and kicking her legs in the air. It wasn't an epiliptic fit either. She just was acting so unusual, i had never witnessed a child doing this at the mall before. And I grew up as a teen working there through my 1st 3 yrs of college, and during seasonal times too. Around what age does this Agoraphobia begin, and at what point in life is it actually diagnosed as Agoraphobia?

1Bluerose68
02-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Yes, i hate that. I have a job whee i must observe a lot and my eyes have been twitching a lot on me lately....I think its also anxiety of going out in the world to work.

gadguy
02-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Do kids get this problem too, 1 day at the mall this lil kid just dropped to the floor and began screaming and kicking her legs in the air. It wasn't an epiliptic fit either. She just was acting so unusual, i had never witnessed a child doing this at the mall before. And I grew up as a teen working there through my 1st 3 yrs of college, and during seasonal times too. Around what age does this Agoraphobia begin, and at what point in life is it actually diagnosed as Agoraphobia?

I did this when I was around 2 or 3 years of age if i did not get my way..even beat my head on floor to point of having bruises. Mom said i was having or throwing a fit. They broke me of iy by throwing ice cold water in my face, the shock of it will break you from having a fit. Old home remedy. If you have not guessed we grewup in a very rural area.

Surfside
02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Yes, i hate that. I have a job whee i must observe a lot and my eyes have been twitching a lot on me lately....I think its also anxiety of going out in the world to work.I don't work, but also have the eye twitches. Get some tinted glasses - trust me.

jpkirkpa
03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Agoraphobia is an interesting and saddening fear. My grandmother suffered from it and would not leave the house for months at a time. My ex-wife also suffers from it and will not leave her house for weeks at a time, and even gets anxious checking the mail.