PDA

View Full Version : Would love to hear some agoraphobia success!

hopeNfaith88
05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Ive alwys had anxiety, but only within the last couple months did it somehow escalate to debilitating levels. Ive become incredibly agoraphobic.

What makes me feel hopeless and scared is that EVERY agoraphobic's story i have read online says they suffered for YEARS before overcoming it. That makes me so depressed. I dont want my life to be put on hold for that long. Going two months like this is hard but seeing people who suffered 20+ years blows my mind because thats how old i am and id kill myself after that long!!

Id like to hear some positive stories of people who overcame this after a few months. Hopefullythey exist...

brittany09
05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I just went through literally the exact same thing you are going through and am doing better so I have advice to give you. I've had GAD for about 2 years...since I was 19. It is usually manageable,but 3 months ago it was just out of nowhere(seemingly)I had a terrible panic attack and was afraid to leave the house for a while. Everything looked different outside. Too bright,too scary. I thought I was going insane until I looked how I was feeling up and realized there is a name for it. I really didn't know about agoraphobia,despite having anxiety. I mostly stayed in my house for a couple months. Had my boyfriend go out and get things I needed. I was anxious even being at home,but going out seemed SO impossible. I also had depression symptoms which was new to me. There were days I wanted to be alone,then there were others I couldn't stand being alone. So I started out getting a little better by getting dropped off at my parent's house and staying there while my boyfriend worked. I wasn't able to drive. I spent time doing housework for them,and doing things outside. Laying in the sun was relaxing. After that I decided to start going in small stores and gas stations. Then I started driving more and going for walks by my apartment. None of this stuff was comfortable for me to do at first. It got more comfortable each time. I was getting bored sitting at home and was starting to actually want to do things. So last weekend I drove to the next town over with my boyfriend(10 mins away)to shop and get ice cream. I wasn't comfortable but made it through. Then I went to Wal-Mart to pick up things for the apartment. Now I'm able to go in any store. Still not fully comfortable,sometimes I'm walking so fast trying to get my stuff done that I'm almost running and having to fight the urge to push people out of my way lol. I suggest you bring a trusted relative or friend with for at least the first few times you go out. Somebody that understands what anxiety is,and how to help you if you start to not feel good. I also made an appointment to go to the doctor and made it through that. I didn't want to go in,but my doctor wouldn't prescribe me more than 10 Ativans over the phone since she hadn't seen me for anxiety in almost 2 years,when I first started getting it. I was handling it without medicine up until this point but decided I really want to have medication on hand. I haven't even had to take it yet,just even having it puts my mind at ease. I was pretty jittery at first,in the waiting room and in the doctor's room. My doc suggested I get a blood test done to see if my thyroid is bad and I was thinking NO! Lol I want out of here!! But I said yes and did fine. :) Pushing yourself always helps. It's really not as bad once your doing actually these things. It's the anticipation that kills. I had to force myself to go out the first few times and it got easier after that. Don't wait until you feel "comfortable" enough to do it. Even if your feeling shitty just leave the house and do something. Start small. Sit outside,do yard work,go for short walks. Then try driving. Then try going in small stores,like dollar stores. Keep a benzo on you. What's the worst that could happen? You have to walk out of somewhere,and go straight home? When you accomplish little things you will feel more confident,and be able to move on to "bigger" things. Keeping yourself busy helps SO much. If your doing enough things,you don't really even have the time to be anxious. PM me if you have any questions. Hope I helped :)

joeybaby
05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi id like to share my anxiaty issues with u if u have the time.

xLorrainex
05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
It took me about two years to overcome it, but I was very young at the time and had a hard time understanding what the feeling was and why I had it. When I began to improve it was though thinking positively, and convincing myself I was worrying and panicking over nothing and it was pretty hard, but as soon as I took the first steps, I continually made progress. Like Brittany said, if you keep yourself busy and don't allow your thoughts to wander to your worries, if also helps a lot. If you very much are scared to leave home, take small but sure steps- maybe if you have a shop down the road, convince yourself that the shop is within your comfort boundary, or push the boundary slightly. Once you start widening your boundary of feeling comfortable you're definitely on the road to overcoming agoraphobia. But it will get better.

DrSusanHickman
06-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi Brittany09. I loved reading your post and it is such a perfect example of "systematic desensitization." That's a mouthful of a label just to say that you exposed yourself bit by bit to the very thing that you feared. We have an amazing brain that is great at taking shortcuts to free up processing power (think of how we quickly categorize things so as not to have to think about them...with one glance, we know if that animal was a rabbit, cat or skunk), but this can work against us, too. For example, whatever we go out of our way to avoid, the brain will tag as dangerous. So, one way to change this assigned category is to engage in the feared activity a little bit at a time. And, yes! It will be so uncomfortable at first, but with repetition it gets easier. The anticipation is, as you say, often the worst problem, so directing your thoughts is super important. Great post.

DrSusanHickman
06-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi xLorrainex. It is very encouraging to read posts like this...it helps me to know that my work with patients is on the right track. I am referring many of them to this forum. I also direct a clinic for people with eating disorders and we have clients coming to the clinic who have to fight agoraphobia to get there. Our program is 12 weeks, and the success of these women during this time in overcoming the agoraphobia is amazing. They generally contribute their success to simply having to leave the house at least twice a week to attend our program and to be in the groups. The other group members serve as an accountability factor, as they know that other group members will miss them if they don't attend, so I have to think this is helpful, too. Thanks for sharing your success and your courage. There really is hope!

Damavandi
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Hello:

This is a 100% success story. You will be cured very quickly.

For forty years I had panic attacks + what you call agoraphobia.
Accidentaly, I found out that I am deficient on Vitamin D3.
By going to an endocrinologist, started correcting the deficiency.
The first injection of 300,000 IU, after 3 days, started to work. by the fourth injection,
I was completely cured. You do not have to do anything special, just observe your
improvement on daily basis. Your brain will start working normally--something that you
probably have forgotten by now !

I am 100% sure that you are low on vitamin D3. Please arrange for having a vitamin d3 (25-OH)
blood test done at a very good lab. Please make sure that the test is 25-OH. The other tests are not just good.
Please keep me posted.

Best wishes,
Ali

Damavandi
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi:

This is something that all the doctors say" Check your thyroids by blood test".
Very few of them tell you to check your vitamin d3 level. My dear, you are low on vitamin d3.
If you correct the deficiency, the cure will be instant. It took me forty years to find out about this fact.

Best wishes
Ali

Damavandi
06-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi:

My advice to you is to arrange for Vitamin d3 blood test.
If it is low, by correcting the deficiency, you will be cured.

Best wishes, Ali

Justin S.
07-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I haven't had agoraphobia issues constantly but do suffer from time to time when things get bad. There is hope that it won't last forever. Just step back and look at all the things toucan get out and do before you start to feel anxious. Some days will always be worse than others. Your not alone though. Over come the feeling and tell yourself tht you are done!

younganxdisorder_
09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Any advice for a young girl who suffers from severe agoraphobia & severe panic/anxiety disorder? I'm 17 & it has been a year.

coco.chandelier
09-30-2012, 05:03 AM
I would just like to say that you should not be scared! As easy as it is to say it but doing it can be easy too. (depending on the type of treatment, if any) I've had panic and anxiety for about 7 years now and have been diagnosed clinically for 2 years. I would say that about 3 the last years I had agoraphobia as well as the anxiety. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and agoraphobia (mid 2011). I have been on medication (SSRIs) and had done CBT for a year and half since I was diagnosed and about a month or two into the meds the panic as well as the agoraphobia finally started subsiding to the point where they are now non-existent. I mean, I still have those thoughts that I'm going to get "that feeling" because I'm alone in public or because I'm doing something for the first time - but that is where the cbt comes in and I have learned from it how to control my thoughts and to remember that we as people with panic and anxiety disorders tend to over-think, think catastrophically and just over all let our brain take control of our body.
I could sit here and talk a lot more about this, but I figured that these posts sometimes get very long. So if you or anyone else would like to talk to me about anything or ask questions - feel free to message me. I hope you find some sort of answer that will help you with this debilitating, god-awful feeling

anxiousaimee
10-04-2012, 06:06 AM
I suffered from mild anxiety my whole life... mostly as a teenager. I'm 27 now, 3 years ago went on holiday to the USA for 3 months, had a great time, had a job as a street fundraiser, no anxiety in sight! After being home 3 months I was hit with the worst case of anxiety ever, I actually left the house about 3 times in the space of a year, a WHOLE YEAR! Worst year of my life, I saw no end to it. I started off slowly, forcing myself to go to the supermarket once a week, with my partner, never on my own, and built on it from there. I'm still not "normal" , I don't leave the house that often, I avoid it, can easily go 2 weeks before i realise I haven't went outside, but I am living my life. I have a work at home job now, not great for getting back to real life, but I did manage to go to an external interview and a day of training for it, panic free. Though I know I'm not ready to have a proper in office job, too much social pressure, but I'll get there! But I can now do so many things I thought were gone forever, going to the in laws for dinner, birthday parties, I even organised a hen do, I done bridesmaid at a wedding this year...... a great amount of stress comes with everything I do, but it's not always doom and gloom, it's just a long path, and the easiest thing to do is accept that right now, that's who you are, and be fine with it, then the rest will come! Baby steps for everthing, always baby steps! And never think you are going backwards and you wont!

hopeNfaith88
10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Any advice for a young girl who suffers from severe agoraphobia & severe panic/anxiety disorder? I'm 17 & it has been a year.

Yes - u can't let it consume you. Take steps everyday to fight it. Take a walk, or go to a store close by. Eventually it gets easier and you can get a grip on it. I am doing so much better, I still have bad days sometimes but I know they won't kill me and I push through it. My best advice is to get help! See a therapist, get a small script of a benzo for emergencies. I always carry a Xanax pill in my pocket but never need it. It's just in case. Now I can go to school, drive 4 hours to visit my parents. I've even gone back to work. Life is almost normal again after a very scary 6 months. Just the memory of what I went through can flare it up but I refuse to let myself get that bad again (extremely agoraphobic)

hopeNfaith88
10-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I suffered from mild anxiety my whole life... mostly as a teenager. I'm 27 now, 3 years ago went on holiday to the USA for 3 months, had a great time, had a job as a street fundraiser, no anxiety in sight! After being home 3 months I was hit with the worst case of anxiety ever, I actually left the house about 3 times in the space of a year, a WHOLE YEAR! Worst year of my life, I saw no end to it. I started off slowly, forcing myself to go to the supermarket once a week, with my partner, never on my own, and built on it from there. I'm still not "normal" , I don't leave the house that often, I avoid it, can easily go 2 weeks before i realise I haven't went outside, but I am living my life. I have a work at home job now, not great for getting back to real life, but I did manage to go to an external interview and a day of training for it, panic free. Though I know I'm not ready to have a proper in office job, too much social pressure, but I'll get there! But I can now do so many things I thought were gone forever, going to the in laws for dinner, birthday parties, I even organised a hen do, I done bridesmaid at a wedding this year...... a great amount of stress comes with everything I do, but it's not always doom and gloom, it's just a long path, and the easiest thing to do is accept that right now, that's who you are, and be fine with it, then the rest will come! Baby steps for everthing, always baby steps! And never think you are going backwards and you wont!

I'm glad you are doing better. You aren't done, u will continue to improve! I went back to work at my customer service job. I was terrified but it went well.

Beth
01-10-2013, 05:35 AM
I am not fully cured but I am getting there! :) I've had panic disorder for 6 years and agoraphobia came about last year although I think I really was agoraphobic for much longer, I just didn't let myself realise. I was fine going out with my husband, but terrified about going anywhere alone which meant I couldn't work.
After a few walks to a local park with my husband, I knew it like the back if my hand and one day I simply decided that I was sick of agoraphobia and I walked there on my own. I say on a bench when I was there. I made sure not to text him because I figured that would defeat the purpose of the exercise a bit. I brought some rosehips berries back to prove to myself that I'd done it, and I took photos :) I didn't have one panic attack while I was out there! And I went out again 2 days after. Again, no panic attack.

I spent a while not going out because I wasn't really pushing myself enough and I was in a fragile mindset, but I got back up again after rest and went out again. When I came across people, my irrational fear was that they would attack me, so I turned in the opposite direction when I saw an old man in the distance, lol! But then on my way back I had to pass another old man in a long coat with black gloves on and a hand in his pocket, and for some reason that really terrified me, but I walked past within a metre of him and he didn't attack me! Yay! Lol. It just goes to show that fear really does override the rational part of your mind, and sometimes it's good to think, "Am I being silly here? What are the chances of anything bad happening?" And carrying on.

I can now go to that park on my own without fear at all. And I am actually enthusiastic about making progress elsewhere now too instead of fearing it all! I figure once I get on the bus a few times on my own, I could get a job.

So, I haven't completely overcome agoraphobia, but hopefully my story gives you some hope. :)

metallijim
01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I suffered a really bad panic attack last October. I was on my way to work when it hit, there was nobody around and naturally I freaked out. I managed to get a hold of someone to come pick me up. I took a couple of days off work. When I decided to go back I got as far as the front porch and I had another panic attack. I didn't leave the house then for over 2 months unless there was someone with me the whole time. Christmas week I said to myself enough is enough. I started going for short 5 minute walks around my street. Gradually extending the time I spent out every day. This week I finally built up the courage to walk downtown on my own. Spent over an hour walking around the town alone. It felt great, like I won a huge battle. I work in a local pub and I start back next weekend after nearly 4 months out. I'll only be doing a couple of hours in the afternoon, just to settle back in and hopefully I can get back to some normality soon. Thankfully everyone at work has been very understanding and helpful which has gone a long way to helping me too. I know I haven't suffered to the extent of some other people here but for me it's a huge victory. I was in a bad place for a couple of months and seen no way out and I'm not going to pretend it was easy because it takes a lot of work to get out of that frame of mind but it can be done. I hope that everyone who has and is experiencing this has a breakthrough.

Malyn
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
That's an inspiring story. I know I used to like to go shopping alone but since October when I got sick my anxiety flares up bec of work stress. I felt a little better in 2 mos but now I am having panic attack again.

Do you get dizzy with your anxiety. That is my main prob going out bec I get dizzy when I panic and I freak out

xxcraigiexx
03-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Its nice to hear these inspiring stories. I think i am borderline agoraphobic, it started last year when I began having horrible panic attacks over the fear of dropping dead. I guess my main fear about going out on my own is that something will happen and my family wont be there with me or maybe no one will be there to help. I still go out on my own sometimes when I really have to but it is always a battle...im only 26 years old and i feel like my life is ending before it ever started.

JessicaK
04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey there. I have some encouraging news for you. I myself was agoraphobic. Sometimes the urge to not leave my house is there, but let me tell you I fight like hell to keep it at bay. When it first happened, it was really bad. I could hardly even leave the room I was in. I just laid on my couch and cried non stop and hardly ate. I felt so horrible. I felt paralyzed with fear to leave my house and I missed a few weeks of school because of it. (I was in high school at the time). I think the biggest motivator for me to push through it, was that I realized I was turning into someone who wasn't me. The Jessica I knew was fun, outgoing, loved exploring and doing new things, not THIS. I felt bad for myself for a few weeks but then I realized I wanted to be myself again. I wanted to be the fun loving person I knew and would be damned if I let this control me. I had to start by going back to school cuz it was my senior year and I did not want to miss graduating because of missing days. What I ended up doing was waking up like 2 hrs earlier than usual and pep talking myself. I told myself I can do this and that I am stronger than this. I took it one step at a time. My pre school ritual consisted of getting up and doing the usual getting changed and brushing teeth. That extra time I allotted to myself was forcing myself to stand outside on the front porch. Once I realized I was ok, I managed to sit in the car. After a few minutes I started to drive. When I got to school I sat for about 15 minutes in the parking lot. Then I got out and stood by the car and breathed in the fresh air. Fresh air helps!!!! Eventually i managed to sit through one period, than another, than another. With therapy and practice, I found myself going to school again and graduating. I was still afraid of going new places I haven't been, so I would have panic attacks if I went into a new town or city. Travelling is still SUPER hard because the unfamiliarity of places really makes me anxious for the safety of my house! However, I kind of force myself to suck it up, and if I have an attack, I have an attack. Over time I've learned to accept the attacks and just push through them. You have a warrior spirit within you! Bring it out! :)

nancyga2013
04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm 25 now and have not had this in quite a while unless its a bad anxiety attack but you will not be stuck forever. Off and on throughout my teenage years I would go through periods and sometimes months of not wanting to leave the house. I would literally panic at the thoughts of leaving the house. My parents would have to pick me up and drag me out to the car to get me to the psy! And the whole time I had extreme anxiety. It did pass, and you can overcome this!

Lin
05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
During many post natal depression bouts over 28 years I have never suffered from agropohobia but this depression because of hormone imbalance because of my age started in March 2011 and for the first time I have suffered from agrophobia. My favourite weekend is getting in from work on a friday night and not leaving the house until monday morning. I have stopped my social life, running my 13 year old cub pack I founded, and going to town, food shopping or watching my local football.
Going to work is a nightmare and some days I cry all the way there and push myself to get there and all day at work I struggle to seem normal and the pressure of that all day means I am exhausted at home in evenings so not kind to husband or want to do anything.
When off sick I have less pressure, but still not want to go out, and have to push my head to do so. Really hard and husband sick of me not doing things and either him having to do them instead of me, or go alone to watch something without me.
Can only hope that my hormone treatment, medication and other therapies I am trying like meditation and reflexology start to all work, and I hope to be back to doing all the things outside not done for over 2 years.

joey361
07-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I ve had panic disorder for 8yrs. And agoraphobia for maybe 5yrs. First I couldn't leave town, then eat out/restaurants, then certain roads, then I put borders on how far I could go in town. Mind you I live in a very small town ... you can get anywhere in 5min. Good hospital ... etc. I could not visit my father, daughter, and grandmother whom raised me. I would call everyday tho. My life was bad. I could not even walk to the mailbox without feeling sweaty palms and shortness of breath. I began with small steps. First I bought a bike, I would ride it down the road, everytime a lil further. The nice thing about the bike is you can get back home quickly AND the symptoms of a panick attack are similar to excercise. So you don't panic as much because you should feel short a lil breathe, sweat, ... etc. After I got comfortable, I began again, this time with my dog/husky. This time I had to learn to control my pace (walking) and my breathing (nose breathing). This control comes in handy when in a situation of panic (uncontrolled situation).
You can beat this! It will take a little work/practice, and consistancy. But I promise you, it WILL work. Good luck my friend!!!

jloca215
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
So I've been dealing with anxiety and panic since i was 19. I'm 30 now. The last time I left the country was at 18 years old I went on a cruise to Bermuda and it was amazing! Shortly after that I developed severe panic disorder. At first it was under control with meds, I still went places, the beach, downtown, I completed nursing school which required me to travel a lot to different clinical sites alone. But in the last 4 years I've noticed the meds stopped working. I've become immune. And switching meds has become a great fear for me since I've had such bad reactions in the past. I really dread the whole trial and error process and I guess I'd rather be somewhat uncomfortably numb rather than go through that again. Any how, after a disastrous trip down the shore three years ago with family and hubby, I haven't left the "safety" of my neighborhood or 20 mike radius. And if I did, it caused severe discomfort and even one time I made my ride turn around and go back home!! Well last year I married my rock, my biggest supporter, and due to finances and time off from work, we didn't take a honeymoon. But I promised him a 1 year anniversary. So as we are approaching October I knew I had to kick this fear, for him because he deserves to be happy. So last Thursday we drove down the shore, approximately 2 hours, and went jet skiing!! Yes I actually got on a jet ski! And we had a great time and he was shocked that I did it! Hell he was shocked I lasted on the car ride! But I had to tell myself, it will be u comfortable, it will be scary, but you won't die! And even if you do, when it's your time it's your time and there's nothing worrying can do to change it! And now with a newfound courage, I am planning our one year anniversary trip to Dominican Republic on a plane!! I haven't been on one since I was twelve. Keep fighting you can do it!

atcmom
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I get very dizzy. Then I think I will pass out. That's my biggest fear, passing out in public!

jukebox314
02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I get very dizzy. Then I think I will pass out. That's my biggest fear, passing out in public!

Same here!!!! I currently have the flu and I get dizzy from it. But now I'm afraid when I get better I'm going to faint in school or work. :/

vanessa2010
02-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Same here!!!! I currently have the flu and I get dizzy from it. But now I'm afraid when I get better I'm going to faint in school or work. :/
hey sorry to bother you but i have the flu and get really dizzy from it too and i have school tomorrow i am extremely worried about how it may go especially since I'm not fully recovered but i have no choice but to go :(

jukebox314
02-02-2014, 04:36 PM
hey sorry to bother you but i have the flu and get really dizzy from it too and i have school tomorrow i am extremely worried about how it may go especially since I'm not fully recovered but i have no choice but to go :(

Same here. You're not bother me. I've noticed that the more I find people in the same situation that I am in, the less anxious I feel. When I get dizzy I get so nervous I start sweating like I'm going to faint. So honestly, I'm kind of terrified to go to both school and work tomorrow. I've had it since Thursday but I still feel like crap! I hope you feel better. :/ sorry I don't have any advice. I'm still figuring it out :(

Ambition
12-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Last Saturday I managed to drive 4 miles to the beach along country lanes on my own. The first drive of such a distance since September. Yes I was nervous. I got out the car and quickly walked the 200 metres to the top of the steps above the beach, then back to car.
In the evening about 9pm I went to sainsbury supermarket on my own and looked at magazines. I felt I had really achieved something but was gonna take things slowly just get back into the habit of going out on short journeys like this then after a while longer ones.

Unfortunately I had a visual migraine aura ( no headache) on the Monday morning. Even though I get less than one a month. So now with the fear of that getting more frequent I'm back to bloody square one! And might as well surrender my driving licence. This has been a horrible year and I'm not looking forward to next year.

1Texan Fan
02-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm new here and just caught your message. I never considered my experience a success story but more of "Survivor's story". I never considered suicide or ending it all, that was never an option. I lived in H E double "L" for seven years and escaped it's grips for ever I hope. I was 23 when it hit and 30 when I let go of it. When it was gone, I knew it but it was like a real bad surgery, it took time to learn to live again and not worry about it returning. The day I let go, was the same day I met my wife of 23yrs. I'm 53 now and I no longer look back at those days as a curse or disease, but more of a gift and a time I learned so much. I wish not to repeat it but I feel if you learn from your experience(in a positive way), then what you are looking for(how to cope with Agoraphobia) will happen sooner than you think. In those days I didn't talk much and just watched, listened and not judge others, but try to understand why people are the way they are. I tend to think I am a better person because of it, but wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Just try to be fair and honest, and don't kid yourself...every hurdle is a nightmare and when you are ready, they will become just memories. I had to wait a few years before I even knew the name of what I had. Have a name was like being cured...only for me though. I knew I wasn't going crazy and never told anyone(at that time). I believe I know how to beat it....a lot of strength, a sense of humor....and learn all you can from this time of your life....It will mean much more in the future, as to how YOU live your life.

Ponder
02-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm new here and just caught your message. I never considered my experience a success story but more of "Survivor's story". .................................................. .................................................. ...............................I believe I know how to beat it....a lot of strength, a sense of humor....and learn all you can from this time of your life....It will mean much more in the future, as to how YOU live your life.

Hello and Welcome 1Texan Fan. Really enjoyed all of what you had to say. Thank You.

Lilith
06-19-2015, 10:16 PM
The drive home is always anxiety-free for me. When I worked in childcare I had to push myself every morning until I survived better. I found that the children would talk to me and ask for my help, at first it was hard but I realised they needed me. I used them as a stepping stone out of the anxiety. The more they needed me, the less I felt like vomiting. Some maternal instinct must have kicked in and clouded the agoraphobia? I'm not sure. I enjoyed my work and on a good day I felt free.

averbelaur
07-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Hey people,

I used to be a sufferer of agoraphobia. However, I have managed to get in terms with it so to the extent I am living my life again now. Sure I still have issues with anxiety but I no longer let HER rule me from doing what I want to do. If you wish you can check my instagram anxietysavvvy and learn how I have come out the other side =) on there is also a link to my online blog which has more information.

av1988
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Hey people,

I used to be a sufferer of agoraphobia. However, I have managed to get in terms with it so to the extent I am living my life again now. Sure I still have issues with anxiety but I no longer let HER rule me from doing what I want to do. If you wish you can check my instagram anxietysavvvy and learn how I have come out the other side =) on there is also a link to my online blog which has more information.

Thanks! I will check it out.

citrusbliss
05-03-2016, 12:09 AM
I still have agoraphobia but lately I have been forcing myself to leave the house and I'm healing!

My aunt used to have agoraphobia. She was completely housebound at one point. So she began exposing herself slowly by going in her yard, around the block, etc. She used medication at home (not sure which one). Later on, when she was feeling up to it, she went to therapy and they helped her through a lot!

Now, she travels the world :) Last year she went to Africa and spent several weeks living with them.

overcomeanxietytoday
10-05-2016, 10:40 AM
I too have suffered for years but you don't have to.

A billionaire was once asked how does he achieve success. He replied that he sets goals and achieve them.

He said he had a 3 step formula for achieveing goals.

1. Have a very strong desire to achieve that goal.

2. Find out the price you need to pay to achieve that goal.

3. Be determined to pay the price.

To conquer, your agoraphobia, you must take cognisance of the above 3.

I am presently undergoing exposure therapy and it's painful but very therapeutic.

It takes 21 days to rewire the brain and create new pathways and thought patterns.

In order to achieve that, I have started walking down a long street in my neighborhood every day. I also go to a shopping mall and enter the largest supermarket daily. I also go to the KFC or any joint and sit, even if its for 5 minutes.

I also try I interact with the opposite sex everyday but this as been a challenge as don't know many girls in my neighborhood. Also, I have been badly bullied by low lifes in my hood and this has given me a bad image so approaching females won't be easy with a bad image.

I have started seeing some improvements such as being less tense around people. Even my friend is stunned.

So one of the price you'll have to pay is exposure therapy. Think of what you fear and expose yourself to that fear for about 15minutes a day. It is best you do it when you are sure of getting a panic attack. It is the panic attack you're afraid off. So take a little caffeine.

The more you expose yourself, the more your brain tells you there is nothing to fear.

Initially you'll freak out but stay the course.

So find out what you have to do and stay the course. It takes 21 days to rewire your brain

derp
10-12-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm relapsing right now (hence why I'm on this forum) but I had great success in the past. Klonopin and Prozac carried me to where I was able to travel and even went sky diving once. The thing is that no matter how bad it gets, you really have to just stay positive no matter how corny that sounds. One way or another, it gets better if you put in the time and the effort. I'm at a low point right now but I know I'll pull out of it and that knowledge is what's driving me forward.

salvator here
10-20-2016, 05:18 PM
I will say this much..

To totally avoid all triggers in this world, one would have to hide away from society (which Is what I'm currently doing sadly). Each day that goes by is another step backwards (huge steps). As I sit here, I'm telling myself today was just another wasted day gone by and tomorrow is another new day. Tomorrow is not a promise/guarantee for anybody. Every moment is so precious and time is really not on our side (I'm 43 and don't want this for myself, I envision a much better future than this meaningless existence). Deep down if I soul search, I understand, I will indeed be triggered out there in the real world in society and its impossible to expect otherwise. Maybe its a game of chances then, good chances I will be triggered and set off by something, but living like this, one hundred percent chance I will remain alone and empty. I try to say to myself just take it day-by-day (even thought I don't truly believe this works), but its all I have to work with now. I feel sometimes as I could get back to work someday and create a life for myself. I spend every waking moment trying to figure out where it went wrong and fell apart, rather than how to pick up the pieces and move forward. I know it won't be easy, but so worth it.

I guess its to try to stay positive and hopeful and never give up. I found the above postings helpful.

SarahW1
11-27-2016, 01:55 PM
i'm glad that someone has posted on simply success stories- it just goes to show how many people are successful in over coming agoraphobia. I spent the last 4 years watching my sister battle with agoraphobia. I struggled to understand agoraphobia initially, but did my research - every website, every book possible. I made it my mission to get my sister past this battle in her life. It wasn't easy, but she is through the other side. This was all made possible with Unconscious Mind Therapy treatment.

I took my sister to see Robert Hisee, the UKs no. one UMT therapist. You may have heard of him, he is known as The Hypnotist Man. Based just out of london i was very impressed with the success stories found online about Roberts work. Hopeful for the same results, we were not disappointed. Robert Hisee came over to my sisters house, straight away put my sister at ease and i could see her opening up to him straight away, such a genuine man. Having left Robert to work with my sister for a couple of hours, i was absolutely shocked when i came back from the shop to find them no longer sat in the living room.a few minutes later, they came strolling through the front door - so casually like you and I would do, however my sister had not stepped a foot out the house for 4 YEARS!!! i could see from her face, she was ecstatic. The days to follow, i finally had my sister back. The Hypnotist Man's therapy work with my sister has so far been 100% successful and this is a few months down the line. we are never turning back. You MUST see Robert for help. he is amazing

Tina Michelle
06-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Hello, My name is Tina. I'm new to this site. I wouldn't mind to hear your story. I have severe anxiety and agoraphobia.

gypsylee
06-13-2017, 12:21 AM
Hi Tina and welcome :)

I get severe anxiety and agoraphobia as well but it has lessened over the years (with a lot of help). I actually just went out to the shops after a morning of feeling pretty terrible, and it wasn't bad at all. I guess my number one strategy is "just do it" no matter how much I don't feel like it. When I set off (driving) I often feel dissociated and strange, but I've learnt to ignore it and just trust in my ability to drive. It nearly always fades after a while and I feel "normal".

I do take medication but I find behavioural strategies are way more helpful. I also tell myself that everybody is so busy worrying about their own stuff that they probably don't take any notice of me (because I get really self-conscious in public). If I feel panicky and overwhelmed I sometimes find a place to sit and just watch people, to prove to myself nobody is paying me any attention.

I hope that helps a bit and you find some support here.

Gypsy x

ivanmiller
10-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Nah. I overcame Agoraphobia in just a few weeks. It’s not hard because it only results from an extremely high level of anxiety. So, to overcome Agoraphobia, you don’t need to learn how to overcome anxiety completely, only how to reduce it a little.