PDA

View Full Version : oh anxiety, you do burden me so

okami1995
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
this is a thread I posted on here a while ago. Despite having great answers, I still can't seem to get past it. Here is the original post

"Hi. So basically, I will occasionally share a bed with my mother. I never sleep in the same bed as her, but we'll sit and watch TV and read books and stuff. Because I'm so irrationally anxious about everything lately, this is getting to me as well. I know I'm being irrational, but I need reassurance. I guess I just need an outside POV ".

I don't know why, but this keeps bugging me. I just want to get over my anxiety regarding this issue.

Buttercup
05-19-2012, 02:58 PM
There is nothing wrong with hanging out with your mother. You are really lucky that you have such a good relationship with your mum and can spend time with her chilling out. Why would you want to change that?
Do you see a doctor or therapist about your anxiety?

10x10
05-20-2012, 06:31 AM
okami1995: I agree with buttercup. You are lucky to have that relationship with your mother. Clearly, she is someone you trust deeply and are comfortable sharing that downtime with. You can relax around her, which is therapeutic for you. You are obviously experiencing something positive when doing this, which has reinforced this behaviour.

Perhaps discussing this with a counsellor would help figure out what that positive reinforcement is?

okami1995
05-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I know. It's just anxiety. That's what I try to tell myself, but it doesn't work for me. I agree with you, I am very lucky to have such a good mother. I think the main cause of this is that I've spent practically my entire school life being bullied. This is one of the causes for me being such an anxious person, not to mention I have a genetic predisposition to it. Both my parents suffer from anxiety, and all four of my grandparents did.