PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling human?

yasmin1993
05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I know it sounds bizarre but I've been going through my mind all day at college not feeling human like I can't feel my body? It's really upsetting me cause I don't know whats happening, has anyone else suffered with this? I'm obviously human I just can't feel anything and I'm so tired and stressed with living anxiety it's actual life hell

yasmin1993
05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Someone please help

alankay
05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Anxiety can give you the damndest feelings and sensations or lack therefor. Have you gone to see a doc? There is help Yasmin. Alankay

brittany09
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
That is actually a common symptom of anxiety. It's unpleasant,but it is temporary. You are overstressed and your getting the derealization because your mind is trying to protect you from further stress.

bec43
05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah dont worry yasmin ive felt that way for a year now. its not so bad and it will pass

bhamlaxy
05-19-2012, 01:39 AM
When your nervous system is on edge and your body is ready to "fight or flight", it can cause some very weird sensations and feelings. Everything feels off, you feel kind of disconnected from reality, existence is difficult to comprehend.

When it starts to upset you, remember the following
- The weird feelings may be disturbing, but they CANNOT hurt you. It's quite the opposite really, it's your bodys self defense system reacting when it shouldn't. You are in no danger whatsoever.
- You are not losing your mind. You know that you ARE human, even if it feels weird. That's what separates the two. It's your nervous system, not your brain, that is causing it.
- Distract yourself. Anxiety is causing the weird feelings. Sitting there contemplating on them, obsessing about it and trying to figure it out just makes it worse. Personally, when I start to feel it I walk around and start cleaning my apartment, play a game on my phone, or watch TV. Find something that can divert your attention.

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend visiting a therapist, and possibly a psychologist. I have dealt with those feelings on a near daily basis for 2 months. I started lexapro about a month ago and finally felt it really kick in this past week. I feel normal again. My slight bouts of anxiety are so minor and tame compared to the past. I rarely if ever get that dreamy feeling. And now I can work, function normally, and continue with my therapist.

energychick
05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I know it sounds bizarre but I've been going through my mind all day at college not feeling human like I can't feel my body? It's really upsetting me cause I don't know whats happening, has anyone else suffered with this? I'm obviously human I just can't feel anything and I'm so tired and stressed with living anxiety it's actual life hell

I know how you feel, It's horrible and scary and awful. But it will pass and you will be ok. It is really just a symptom. I used to say things like. It's ok, It's just the anxiety, things like that to myself when it was really bad. It does feel like a living hell when we are allways stuck in those feelings. But it does get better and you can heal. There is so much good information on this forum.

I don't suffer anymore so I know that it can be healed. Theres, lots of things that can help and you just have to take it one minute at a time sometimes. If you can make it through one minute you can make it through the next but one minute is all that you have to cope with at a time.

When you feel like this, just try to tell yourself that it's just anxiety and try not to fight it. When we try to push it away it makes it harder to deal with, just imagine that you are floating through it, like you are a cloud.Distraction does help too.

I hope this helps :)

10x10
05-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Yasmin,

Do you think you were actually having a panic attack? Maybe that was what was happening and the anxiety was just mounting because you were anxious about what was happening (ah, the vicious cycle of anxiety - the fear of fear).

I would agree with energychick - distraction is key! In moments like that, you need to distract yourself because the more you focus on what is happening, the more your anxiety will increase. Watch a movie, go for a walk, listen to music. My best distraction is playing guitar - focusing on the chords and strumming helps distract me from anything else, and I really find it therapeutic! I would also recommend Guided Relaxation - this isn't the relaxation where you focus on the body (Progressive Muscle Relaxation) - this is where you listen to a story - really relaxing for the mind and it will distract you from what is happening. You could find a tonne of these on youtube :)

I hope this helps.