PDA

View Full Version : Is it TRUE ??

jessy
05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I've so many questions , so this is a new post regarding benzo's !!

I'm on lorazapam 3-4 mg a day as required , been in them for aprox 2 years , befor that I took diazapam .

I have been told that after all this time it's just a placebo ??

Any one any evidence of this ?? Is it a fact , or just an opinion some people have ??

Appeiciate any knowledge on this :-)

alankay
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Ain't true. Many don't develop much tolerance and a few do. It is good though to learn as best you can to manage with the fewest meds. 3-4mg is getting to a medium/high dose but not unheard of. I used to take 2-3mg and day but my pdoc wanted me to work on other skills in addition to having the benzo(we also added an ssri) and I have am better for it. I still use valium and it works for me.
Now will will it be exactly as effective forever..........no. It will not be quite the same as when you first start the med over a period of years but will it help allot with anxiety/panic??........ YES!! Now if you go about swallowing benzos like candy for many months or even years without working on learning about anxiety and believing that meds are a total solution in and of theselves.................you won't be getting much better really. Benzos are but a part of therapy for many anxiety suffers. Some don't need them. Some just an ocassional dose others daily or nearly so. It varies as much as people/patients vary themselves. So learn all you can and develop skills such as positive thinking, progessive relaxtaion, deep breathing, exercise, eating well, reading about anxiety, etc, etc, and use benzos are a part of your strategy to manage your anxiety. There are some who get to much in the way of benzos are get the neg. side effects(drowsyness/memory problems, dependence and your doc should be watching for that. Alankay.

jessy
06-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Thank you for your reply & the information .
I have been in a mess with this drug a few years ago , my doc prescribing me the 2.5mg tablets 4 times a day ,so 10 mg per day !!!!
Needless to say I ended up in hospital having to come down from that large dose & it was HELL !!!!.
I lost much of my life at that point , could not function & have very bad memory loss .
I was able to reduce to 3mg a day & this is what I am currently on , I also have an anti depressant , (Dosulepin ) it's not an ssri , it is the other kind .

Medication is certainly there to help , but it doesn't take away the problems & it's not the answer .

Jessy :-)