PDA

View Full Version : EMDR Therapy ???

jessy
05-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone , has anyone had any experience with EMDR therapy ??, I've been advised this could be one step to helping me . If any one has any knowledge about this or experience ,I'd Appeiciate it a lot .

Jessy xx

DrPatti
05-23-2012, 06:49 AM
As a Psychologist practicing EMDR for almost 20 years, I can tell you that it's extremely helpful with many kinds of problems. I have also been a client in EMDR therapy so I know what it's like, how it can help, and how much faster it is than any other kind of therapy I've experienced. It was originally created for PTSD which is an anxiety disorder, and it's now widely used with all anxiety issues, as well as phobias, panic, eating disorders, etc. One great thing about it is that you'll know fairly quickly, within a session sometimes, if it's going to be helpful to you. I highly recommend Dr. Francine Shapiro's new book, Getting Past Your Past: Take control of your life with self-help techniques from EMDR therapy. This book is the best self-help book I've ever read, plus it guides the reader in knowing if/when it's time to seek professional help and has a ton of resources. It's important to know that Dr. Shapiro is donating ALL the proceeds from this book to the EMDR-Humanitarian Assistance Program and to the EMDR Research Foundation, so it's not about lining her pockets!

Mysticsoul
05-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Well it bought my therapist a trip to Hawaii - for me zilch and same with tapping

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emdr.html

jessy
06-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys , I'm on a waiting list for this therapy & really hoping its going to be of help to me :-)

Fashoom
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I didn't have any success with EMDR. If you have a good feeling that it might help, then give it a try.