PDA

View Full Version : How much valium???

Amy1986
05-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Flight in 3 days, have 2mg Valium pills for it but how many do I take so I am okay for it and not knocked out???

FYI I am bricking it.

laurandisorder
05-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Have you taken Valium before? How anxious do you get flying?

I am an extremely nervous flyer, I find that I need 2 x 5mg pills before the flight and another if I get anxious during the flight - I did this on an overnight last year and it still wasn't enough to knock me out. So if you're a first time user I'd recommend 1 pill before the flight and 1-2 during if you're feeling really anxious. The beauty of Valium is that it acts within 20 minutes and lasts a long time, so you'll be fine.

And obviously, don't mix it with alcohol - even though a drink can be relaxing before a flight it can make you really sick!

Good luck. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Buttercup
05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
How many pills do you have? If you have enough you could do a trial run. Take one or two at home and see how it affects you. I know folk who can take a very small dose and it works well and others who need a larger dose to feel the effects. It all depends on the individual. Or as the previous poster suggested, take one before the flight and if you feel they are not working take another one.
Good luck with the flight, I feel your pain, I hate flying! X

Amy1986
05-13-2012, 06:18 AM

Don't suppose anyone knows the max u can take??

laurandisorder
05-13-2012, 08:06 AM
According to my weight (125lb) and body type (skinny), when I was suffering severe, crippling intense anxiety with relentless pain attacks, I could take up to 30 mg (6 x 5mg pills) in a 24 hour period.

That's just me though - and I never had to take that much - thank goodness. I'd be a zombie!!

alankay
05-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Well there's no really a "max" per se. Too low a dose you'll not feel much anxiety relief. More you'll get the anti anxiety effect.:) More still you'll get the hypnotic effects(sleep inducing,..... probably too much). You need to find your "base dose"(where good anti-anxiety actions starts for you). If you want a basic "max" in general 20-30mg will be enough to make you(many) somewhat to very drowsy. 10mg -20mg would be where many would get a good anti anxiety effect(OK that could be much lower for many) . That varies of course especially if you developed any tolerance or cross tolerance(from other benzos) and your response to benzos in general. Many get relief from just 5 mg. I need more like 15-17.5mg for flights. But I've taken benzos for 30+ years(ONLY on an occasional basis, maybe once/twice a month on average). So a touch of tolerance may have developed.
If traveling with someone who knows you're deal I'd say go with 15 mg. It might make you drowsy so they could help you keep alert enough to make sure you stay on schedule, safe, etc. If not go with 10mg if you are smaller person or a "benzo virgin".:) If you don't have enough to do a test run on 10mg of valium just know it is on of the fastest working benzos(as little as 30 mins). So if you have to add some as you go it will help pretty quickly. Remember you may still have a little anxiety "bleed through" but it should help tons. Does me. It's OK to feel some anxiety, right?
If you start feeling anxious practice relaxation and do some deep breathing and perhaps start a conversation to distract yourself.
Cheers!!! PM me any time. Alankay.

Amy1986
05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Terrified of flying and what makes it worse is this one being totally alone!!!! 7 hours on my worst nightmare so I'm 5.2ft 111lbs and have taken it before but to a zombie state when I was really bad few years ago. Just fear this is going to be awful. :( the flight here started with the nurse stewardess having to breathe with me and rubbing my back for two hours.

laurandisorder
05-14-2012, 05:52 AM
You'll be ok honey!!

I promise.

Flying is one of the hardest things in the world for me - I am tortured with weekly (at least) nightmares about flying, plane crashes and all the rest, which makes it VERY hard to get myself in an airport, let alone on a flight.

I have to fly in a couple of months. Only 4 hour flight and 10mg Valium, a beer (I know, bad) with an extra couple of pills on me just in case is plenty to get me through. I'd rather zombie out than disturb other passengers and stuff.

Use the so So What!? method. So what if you have a panic attack? No-one will think any worse of you! So what if the flight is tough? It's only going to be 7 hours of your life. So what if the plane goes down? Everyone will be panicking (and it won't happen anyway)!!!

You're probably stressing out about the idea of it more than you'll struggle with the flight. You. Can. Do. It.

fresh
05-14-2012, 05:59 AM
I would just start with a half of one and see how you go, if you feel anxious take the other half, they are absorbed fairly quickly. Its more of a safety net really I would try to not take them and be comfortable in knowing that I have them on me.

Amy1986
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
It's tomorrow!!! Totally bricking it. Trying to stay calm but my head won't shut up, torturing me with images of utter awfulness. :( this should be a big deal and I'll have to do it all over again in 2-3 months!!!!

Buttercup
05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I know it's hard but try and think nice happy thought and focus on the positives. Where are you going and what for? Try and think of what you have to look forward to when you get to your destination and also think how lucky you are. Many people will never get the opportunity to go on an airplane and experience different places. I understand that the anxiety about the flight is probably consuming any positive thoughts you could have but you have meds that will chill you out, air stewards are used to nervous flyers and know how to look after you. Hopefully with the pills you can fall asleep and when you wake up you will be there! If not then take plenty of things to try and keep you chilled out- books, magazines, music etc, anything that will help take the focus of your panic. Try and remember that flying is the safest form of transport. It helps me sometimes to look at statistics and figures in relation to travel which shows that flying is totally fine!
Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Amy1986
05-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. :) I'll post on here wednesday to let you all know but if I'm particularly freaked I'll post tomorrow.

Amy1986
05-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Woke up panicking this morning, wonderful!!! Seriously why can't I just feel okay about this, don't want to leave my fiancé, don't want to be alone, hate this!!!

Amy1986
05-16-2012, 08:12 AM
I did it!!!! Took 5 Valium but I got through it really easily!!!! That's only 10mg

Buttercup
05-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Well done! You've given me hope that one day I'll be able to deal with a flight :)

Amy1986
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Yay buttercup!!!!!

You'll feel so empowered when you do :) Valium got rid of all anxiety and irrational thoughts xx