PDA

View Full Version : getting anxiety over whether any of my friends will hook up with my ex girlfriend

bentleychris23
05-11-2012, 05:06 PM
hi, i broke up with a girl i dated for 2 years, and i'm getting anxiety that "what if" any of my friends hook up with her. i trust my friends not too but you always hear about that happening, and i'm bugging out. There's a few people in particular that hang out with her friends. they never flirt, they don't really even know each other, but for some reason my mind is going "what if, what if". how do i cope

bhamlaxy
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Make a list of the reasons your friends wouldn't do it. Hell, even talk to them if you need to. Make the list every day if you need to. So when your mind starts racing with what-ifs, you have a list of good rational reasons why it's not going to happen.

Also, although it's unlikely, think about what if it DID happen. Would you die? Would your life be shattered? Of course not. You might be a bit angry and sad, maybe cry. You would be disappointed in your friend. But you would get over it. It might suck a bit, but you are totally in control of how you react to it.

In the end, you are putting yourself through unnecessary anxiety and suffering over something that 1. Will almost certainly not happen and 2. Even if it does, it wouldn't be horrific.