PDA

View Full Version : First panic attack....I feel so lonely

ccrfc2012
05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello to everyone on this forum!

I would just like to say that I have only experienced anxiety to the point of medical help for the past 4 days, but for the those who have had it for many years, my sincere genuiness and understanding goes out to you. I feel a complete mess since my first episode 4 days ago, but I take great comfort and aspiration from those who have suffered with it for many years but have lived a successful life.

I'm a 21 year old lad who has a lot going for him, and has a great network of support in which to rely on, but has recently had some significant life events happen. My first panic attack happened 4 days ago, and it occured at night time when everyone was asleep. I felt this pressure and 'fuzzyness' build up in my head, followed by a pressure on my chest and the instant reflex to gasp for air. I know quite a lot about anxiety and I was able to identify I might be having one, in which case i was kind of prepared and knew of the techniques to ride it out. But boy was I wrong! This feeling was overwhelming that I had to stand up, and walk downstairs to get some water and occupy my mind. As I walked up the stairs it hit me so hard, and I started to hyperventilate. I managed to control my breathing, but I had this instant urge to go into my parents room to ask them to call an ambulance. I maanaged to avoid this and went into my bedroom, where I just laid on my bed and tried to control my breathing as well stroking my head for re-assurance; weird I know. I managed to eventually drop off, but when I woke the next day I knew I had experienced something that I have never had before, but something that was affecting my mental health in a detrimental way. My dreams were out of this world in terms of violence and aggression, and I woke up in the middle of the night sweating buckets! As I got ready for work I felt this feeling build up inside me, and my panic attack was constantly on my mind thus making me nervous and anxious; I had this horrible sensation around my heart, kinda like a squeezing/unsettling sensation. I was driving to work when all of a sudden the traffic came to a stand-still, which, isn't a problem for me and never has been. But this time it was different, and I could feel this sensation come over me and I thought it was the onset of a panic attack. I managed to bring myself around, but as I got to work and sit-down I just felt a wreck and I had to leave. For that entire day I felt awful and nevous, and my head felt like it was wired with caffeine, yet my body was slow and lethargic. My mind had gone into over-drive, and my heart felt so horrible that I just wanted to rip it out!

I though enough is enough and I went to the gp, and described what had happened to me and the levels of anxiety I was experiencing. He has eventually prescribed me Sertraline 25mg/1 week, 50mg/2 week, and Diazepam 2mg as and when required. After I got the medication and had attended therapy, I felt re-assured and as if something positive was happening; I hadn't even took any medication at this point, yet I felt re-assured by this news. The strange thing was that I though I was on the up, but later that day I went into a shop and I got that same feeling of nervousness and as if something was going to happen. I managed to challenge my thought process, and was able to hold it together externally, but internally I was a mess and fearful.

I am starting Sertraline tomorrow, and I really hope it'll help with my anxiety, and what I think to be the potential onset of social anxiety; I hope not but I have my reservations.

Sorry for the long read, it's just that I feel forums like this really help as everyone's advice is based on experience.

Thank you

ccrfc2012
05-09-2012, 04:10 PM
And I forgot to say that I always have this constant pressure on my heart, it's so horrible but I understand it's the physiological effects of Adrenaline. But when you are anxious you can't help but think it's something wrong with your heart.

jlong329
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
In Nov 2011, after coming back on my lunch break, I started feeling a little dizzy so I started looking up the symptoms on webmd and to no avail, heart attack symptoms came up. At that time I felt like I ha to get out of there so I got up and started walking to the restroom, on the way to the restroom I started experiencing those same symptoms that I saw online. Crushing
chest pain, my whole left side was tingling, fast heart beat, hot flashes and just some other crazy symptoms. I called 911 the paramedics came and took me to the hospital.

I was in the hospital for 5 days, they ran every test under the sun. They did a cardiac cath, echocardiogram, EKG, X-ray, MRI of the brain, countless of blood test, and all of the test came back negative. That was Nov 2011, since that day, I have not been the same. I've been to numerous of cardiologists, neurologists, endocrinologists, I've been to the ER at least 7 times, have done additional testing for thyroid, parathyroid, pheochromocytoma, ultrasound of the carotid arteries, Lung VQ scan to check for blood clots, an again everything comes back negative.

All the doctors are telling me the same thing, that I experienced a panic attack and now suffer from
Anxiety from the feat that the panic attack will happen again. What I don't understand is the symptoms that I am feeling. From the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep, I feel tingling in my face, my right side of my face twitches alot, I feel flushed all the time and feel like I am sweating on my forehead, I experience chest pain and all sorts of crazy symptoms, but the constant tingling and constant ligheadedness is what gets me. I am always feeling like I'm going to pass out and die.

Sorry for this long entry, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this and if this is all attributed to anxiety. Can the doctors have missed something and I actually have something more serious? And if it is anxiety, how long does it take to get back to my pre Nov 2011 life?

I am 30 years of age.

CKR
05-10-2012, 05:26 AM
I had all the same symptoms as you when my first panic attacks started. I was told to go and see a psychologist and a therapist repeatedly. However I didn't want to accept that I had anxiety. I wanted to hear them say something was physically wrong. Because how in the hell could anything mental cause so many physical problems. I will say if I had to do this all over again I would have gone to a therapist/psychologist. They have free ones. Sliding scale. I went 4 years without help. They are so bad now that I cannot hardly leave my house and I can't go in buildings etc. I ended up going to the hospital close to 100 times in the first 3 years. Don't end up like me. Get yourself some counseling and medicine that will work before you become more afraid. It's completely reasonable to want to get a second opinion but after 7 visits you need to accept you are having anxiety and feel blessed that there isn't something physically wrong. If you need any more advice or just wanna talk. PM me.

alankay
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
CC, I think you are on the right path. You will have some struggles/ups and downs but will be OK. PM any time. Alankay.

JAug
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
In Nov 2011, after coming back on my lunch break, I started feeling a little dizzy so I started looking up the symptoms on webmd and to no avail, heart attack symptoms came up. At that time I felt like I ha to get out of there so I got up and started walking to the restroom, on the way to the restroom I started experiencing those same symptoms that I saw online. Crushing
chest pain, my whole left side was tingling, fast heart beat, hot flashes and just some other crazy symptoms. I called 911 the paramedics came and took me to the hospital.

I was in the hospital for 5 days, they ran every test under the sun. They did a cardiac cath, echocardiogram, EKG, X-ray, MRI of the brain, countless of blood test, and all of the test came back negative. That was Nov 2011, since that day, I have not been the same. I've been to numerous of cardiologists, neurologists, endocrinologists, I've been to the ER at least 7 times, have done additional testing for thyroid, parathyroid, pheochromocytoma, ultrasound of the carotid arteries, Lung VQ scan to check for blood clots, an again everything comes back negative.

All the doctors are telling me the same thing, that I experienced a panic attack and now suffer from
Anxiety from the feat that the panic attack will happen again. What I don't understand is the symptoms that I am feeling. From the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep, I feel tingling in my face, my right side of my face twitches alot, I feel flushed all the time and feel like I am sweating on my forehead, I experience chest pain and all sorts of crazy symptoms, but the constant tingling and constant ligheadedness is what gets me. I am always feeling like I'm going to pass out and die.

Sorry for this long entry, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this and if this is all attributed to anxiety. Can the doctors have missed something and I actually have something more serious? And if it is anxiety, how long does it take to get back to my pre Nov 2011 life?

I am 30 years of age.

Almost word for word is the same thing i've experienced. What initially caused this was fainting on a hot day from dehydration/stress/exhaustion. However, the anxiety that built from fear of it happening again put me in the hospital for a week. During that week they ran every test imagineable, and you guess it, they all came back fine. I have gotten better over time. I find that finding a good psychologist and really focusing on good mental health goes a great bit of distance. I tried meds, but they weren't for me. CBT has been proven to have better long term effects.