PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a fear of going to bed?

somethingirl
05-04-2012, 03:13 AM
I've suffered from anxiety for many years and night time has always increased my anxiety. Lately I have an intense fear of going to bed. Anyone else?

laurandisorder
05-04-2012, 06:21 AM
I used to have this problem, due to anxiety, bad sleep jerks (that feeling of falling and then snapping awake all breathless) and I would just put off going to bed until very late - like 4-5am - so my cicardian rhythm was all out of whack, which made it worse.

First of all, you need to sleep reasonable hours. Try to get to bed before midnight and get the recommended 8 hours.

You also need to establish a comforting 'get ready for sleep' routine. Cut out ALL caffeine. Don't eat too close to bed time. Set yourself up with a nice cup of decaf tea or even hot chocolate or warm milk. Burn some lavender oil in your bedroom. Do all your getting ready for bed stuff - wash, shower, whatever.

There are lots of herbal supplements you can take to help you get a good night's sleep. If you really struggle, you might want to talk to your GP about some other solutions.

Once you fall asleep, are you ok?

The important thing to remember is that you are safe and comfy in your warm bed. Nothing is going to happen while you sleep! You need it! Try not to approach the situation with fear.

Good luck

07hxox
05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I've had this! I was afraid to fall asleep for some reason I don't know why. All I did was tell myself that it would pass and it did. Before going to sleep i totally focused on something else like read a magazine, books, or watch t.v.

trinidiva
05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Have you tried Chamomile tea? That has calming qualities. It does the trick for me before bed......

Tobias Johnson
05-06-2012, 01:21 AM
I had a fear of sleeping. I would stay awake until I passed out from exhaustion. Then again, I have at one time or another experienced most forms of anxiety. So many symptoms. Hit me up on twitter if you ever want to talk about anxiety. #TobiasJohnson4

miss_mac666
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I've suffered from anxiety for many years and night time has always increased my anxiety. Lately I have an intense fear of going to bed. Anyone else?

i have had this problem for ten yrs. i would stay awake untill about 4 or 5 in the morning. im on sleep meds but im still up late, 1 or 2 a.m. i hate the night time. idk why, i just do. when i do fall asleep early i wake up in a complete panic. my heart races, i have this horrible sensation through my entire body, my tummy feels like its full of nasty butterflies. its an all together dreadful feeling. im still fighting this all.

Claire

sylvina
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Me I hate gunna bed, I can lay there for hours just thinking , I try all sorts like watching films, play on my phone, read , just in the hope it will make me fall asleep, I get body and head zaps wen I drift off which wakes me up and also I wake up with a jolt in a mad panic and at first I don't even no were I am till I come round , it doesn't happen every nite but it has happened a lot , last nite I slept about 8 hours for the first time in ages but still feel tired today

daisy84279
05-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a fear of going to bed too. I worry that something bad is going to happen to me in my sleep and I won't wake up in time to try and stop it. I feel like I'm not aware of my surroundings when I'm asleep. I get heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and racing thoughts. It's not every night I feel like that, but here lately I have been more stressed because I am buying a house, starting a new job, and getting married all in the next 4 months! So, major life changes are in store for me and it's got me really stressed out.

ellen1
05-06-2012, 03:10 PM
I have just began to fear of going to sleep, i swear this is just like me. Im worried that i will not wake up the next morning. i have this fear to:)

brittany09
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I've been afraid of going to bed for periods of time. Usually because I had a panic attack one night and keep associating night with bad for a while. I'm sure that's what you are doing. I do the fall asleep and snap awake thing,I feel dizzy,and get racing thoughts. Some of them scare me because I wasn't even thinking about that! It will pop out of nowhere right when I'm about to fall asleep. I think anxiety can also be worse at night because there's not much to do and it's quiet. Easy to overthink when there is nothing going on.

techpro30
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes. I put on FUNNY movie and try to laugh myself to sleep. Really works. I also keep cell phone by my side "in case" i need to call ER! Sounds dumb, but works.

Brittany1995
03-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I have this same problem!!!!!!!

abbyholmess
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm scared to go to bed too. I have panic attacks that wake me up in the middle of the night. I tell myself being scared will just make it worse. Hopefully when I calm down a bit during the day, I'll be ok at night.

Lorenz86
03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I feel the same way... I get stuck on these thoughts that my heart is going to give out or that I am going to have a heart attack. Also at night I feel like i have to keep checking my heart beat whether it is through my chest or neck.