PDA

View Full Version : Should i see a therapist?

Ranger117
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I have a lot of anxiety from social situations. I'm in high school and can barely make eye contact without triggering a anxiety panic attack. My parents don't grasp what's going on and I don't know what to do.

bhamlaxy
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes. Seeing a therapist can only help.

I'm sorry your parents don't grasp it. Have you tried sitting them down and laying it out in the most blunt of terms? Do you have another family member you can go to?

Even if the answer is no, you can still seek help on your own. You should start speaking with a counselor, therapist, or nurse at your school. They can either help you there, or once they fully understand your symptoms and anxiety, bring your parents in and explain that it truly is a problem that needs to be addressed professionally.

Ranger117
05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes. Seeing a therapist can only help.

I'm sorry your parents don't grasp it. Have you tried sitting them down and laying it out in the most blunt of terms? Do you have another family member you can go to?

Even if the answer is no, you can still seek help on your own. You should start speaking with a counselor, therapist, or nurse at your school. They can either help you there, or once they fully understand your symptoms and anxiety, bring your parents in and explain that it truly is a problem that needs to be addressed professionally.

Thanks. I will defiantly try but it's even hard to go see someone for help because I feel like they are gonna think I'm crazy or something.

bhamlaxy
05-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Don't worry, you are FAR from crazy. You actually have some really common issues. The therapist will certainly understand and not judge you- it's their job.