PDA

View Full Version : Was my anxiety there all along?

NoPinkPanther
01-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Now that I've read all about the symptoms of anxiety, I wonder if I've been dealing with them on a mild level for several years of my life. I can remember these isolated incidents:
1) sudden nausea every time I drove into the parking lot of a job that I found very stressful -- this was 9 years ago, when I was 21
2) ongoing fear of being trapped in an elevator ever since I was trapped in one as a child -- I still have this fear today, but it started when I was about 7 years old
3) feeling as if I were choking after I ate any sliced Kraft cheese - the kind wrapped individually in plastic baggies- this memory is from about 25 years ago, when I was 5 years old. I can clearly remember thinking that I might have swallowed a piece of the plastic in the plastic baggy along with the cheese, and feeling convinced that I was going to die from having ingested the small piece of plastic.
4) having my entire face go numb after trying one bite of almost any kind of food, mostly because I was afraid that I was going to have an anxiety attack if I ate anything (a doctor had just told me that my attacks might actually be adverse reactions/severe allergies to a certain kind of food and that I should keep a journal of what foods triggered my attacks. Thr result was that I became afraid of every food, because I thought it would trigger an attack) -- this lasted for about three weeks during the ending months of 2006

Now, my attacks mostly appear as shortness of breath. I just never considered before reading the posts in this forum that I may have been suffering from anxiety for quite a long while.

Hmm..

jitters
01-18-2007, 03:25 AM
When I first worked it out I was shock at how far back it went although it hadn't affected my life seriously until about 4 years ago. My first anxiety symptoms presented after my perents divorce when I was 10.

Duncan :|

Kayla23
01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
The first thing i remember about ym anxiety is when i was about 7 or so and i was chewing on my hair, after that i was extremely afraid of choking on hair. it was ridiculous. it went from hair, to a breathing problem to cancer. Now i have panic attacks daily and have for the past 6 months. I'm going through that stage with the food. I'm afraid of almost every food. I'm not afraid of the attacks as i am of getting the irregular beats that I've convinced myself have come from certain foods. I'm losing so much weight and feeling faint all the time but I can't seem to eat. how'd you manage to get better with the food?

jitters
01-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Well I started by just eating food I liked when I were hungry. I took multi vitimins to keep my vitamin levels up. I was told by my doctor it is better to eat badly than not to eat at all. But when I worry I still struggle to eat, I have also been told that you shouldn't eat when having an attack or paricularly badly worried.

All in all I do what I can, I dont drink alcohol or caffine or smoke.

Life is getting better but slowly.

Duncan