PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Travel Anxiety :O(

surfer7
05-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Hello - I am a new member and suffer from travel anxiety - In addition, if I take my dogs on a trip I have more anxiety when I am out and the dogs are at the hotel - Any suggestions? Thank you :O)

alankay
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Well when traveling with them it's more to be responsible for so I understand that. Are you on any meds(ssri, benzo, buspar, etc). Alankay

Dale King
05-02-2012, 11:39 AM
My best advice would be to just do it more often! this is a type of CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) specifically desensitisation, where by after many times of traveling, your brain re-wires itself to see that nothing bad happens. It would be similar to if you went on the same rollercoaster every hour for a week, eventually it would not only cease to be scary but it will be boring.

You have to remember that travelling can be a stressful thing! and this stress will cause anxiety, however the problem may be a bit more deeply rooted than you realise.

It might be worth posting a little more about it.... what specifically gets you anxious? do you have a specific fear of an event that might happen?

surfer7
05-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Thank you so much for your reply - My main fear is that something will happen to my dogs while I am out ... Like the cleaning staff will accidentally open the door and they will run away - My fear when I travel without the dogs is that I something will happen to me like an accident or illness ... I know it sounds irrational, but I am just being honest.

surfer7
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't seem to respond well to meds ... recently went off of Busbar which was an absolute nightmare! I have a bottle of Xanax in case I have a brutal anxiety attack ... I have not needed any so far. I mostly just become paralyzed by the fear and then I don't end up going anywhere, which I want to change - Just need help to do that.