PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and benefits

Buttercup
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi guys,
I live in the UK and am currently off work due to my anxiety. I'm only receiving statutory sick pay which is around £80 a week. With a mortgage and bills to pay, food to buy etc this is impossible! I applied for income support but am not eligible due to the fact I get SSP. I will hopefully be able to get help with council tax but am waiting to hear about that. I have no savings and am mounting up more debt just to get by.
I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation or had any advice. It seems that there are no other benefits I could get and I do want to get back to work ASAP but am not sure when I'll be ready to do that.
Thanks in advance xxx

Mike36
04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Can you get housing benefit on top of ssp? I heard that housing benefit can be used to pay the interest on your mortgage for a period of up to two years if your eligible. I would check with a benefits advice agency such as the citizens advice bureau. You can also phone a debt advice agency and discuss planning your payments to fit your budget. You could put non priority payments off until your able to return to work.