PDA

View Full Version : Drinking alcohol and anxiety

Crazychick
04-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Recently my anxiety levels have really come down and feel almost back to myself.....however I went out last night with friends and had a few glasses of wine..I was fine in the night but this morning my heart rate is up and down and I feel pretty anxious?...does anyone else suffer with this after a drink or two?

bhamlaxy
04-29-2012, 03:02 AM
I don't have personal experience with this but have heard of many many others who feel the same way after a night of drinking, whether it be large amounts or only a moderate amount.

Did you feel hungover at all? Maybe it's just that your body feels a little more vulnerable if you are a bit hungover.

Buttercup
04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
When I was younger I would drink a fair amount in the evenings. When I was drinking I would feel better and my anxiety would almost disappear but the next day it was awful- I would feel shaky and really panicked and get palpitations. I now don't drink and i do feel better for it and I certainly do not miss the hangovers and the horrible anxious feelings I would get the day after. But it can be hard if I am at an event and everyone else is drinking, also not having the alcohol to alleviate the anxiety symptoms on the actual night used to be tricky but now it's ok. I believe that anxiety and alcohol do not mix well and if you are going through a particularly bad period it's best to avoid booze.

LR1
04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum & having exactly the same problems- drinking too much to alleviate the symptoms, it's a vicious circle, any advice much appreciated- I need to cut out booze completely!!

Crazychick
04-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi all thanks for the replies! As always it helps to know its not just me :) to be honest it used to far worse ...and I think now I think omg I'm going to feel that way and I set myself up for it....but yes I think from now on maybe just a couple of glasses on a night out is the way forward.....I can see why people cut it out all together...and lr1 ,,yes it is a vicious circle when I first starting suffering with anxious feeling I would 2 -3 glasses every day always making me better for a couple hours and then suffering through the night! You must break the circle but first tou must except that anxiety is natural and it is just us that makes our body react in the way it does!, mind over matter..I never though I would be able to enjoy a night out again but I'm doing it now and it feels great .....I have also been taking magnesium and vitamin b6 complex.....it's really helped...look in to the benefits and see what you think....as always ...we are all here for you anytime...

LR1
04-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi, thanks so much for the advice- again tonight I'm suffering after a heavy night yesterday- tried to sleep but jumps woke me & now have crushing feeling in my chest, it's just awful- will try the vitamins, thanks- now off for a cup of camomile
t!!

Mike36
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Increase in anxiety and lowering of mood are classic "after effects" of alcohol. I've only just started suffering from anxiety but since then alcohol has been making my symptoms worse so I've been avoiding it.

jessy
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I agree , I always feel more anxious the day after drinking . It helps ease the symptoms when you drinking it & helps with increasing your confidence , but it's all false & it's just not worth the way it makes you feel the following day .
It's the worst feeling in the world & I wouldn't wish it on any one .
You are not alone :-) take care

jon mike
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I've always drank a lot, I'm in the music game so its always been hard to avoid! People around you whoever they maybe.
For 15 years I put up with it, I sorted out my anxiety, not knowing what it was for so many years through cbt. Now I drink and enjoy myself at night the same as ever but don't worry to much about the side affects. It can be done folks.
If someone would have said this to me a few years ago I would have just thought to myself that you obviously aren't goin through the same hell as I am! Get that out ya head to. Anyone can do it if you want to. Good luck guys x

ohioren
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I used to drink a lot, I would spend like $100's on alcohol sometimes in a single night, but I don't anymore and I just choose not too and am happy with that.