PDA

View Full Version : A State of Depression all Week?

pamom1980
04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I've been on Prozac and Ativan since March 17th to treat my anxiety and depression. Everything seemed to have improved drastically over the weeks.. BUT.. this week, I have fallen into this weird depressed state. Is it normal to get so depressed or down feeling when on prozac or any of the meds for anxiety/depression??? Is the meds supposed to prevent this type of issue altogether while on them? Should I talk to the doctor again next week if my mood hasn't improved?

I know that we all have our off days. No one can be 100% 24/7 in a positive mood. But I've had sooooo many great days since taking the meds that it's really weird to have nearly an entire week of a gloomy attitude. The last few days, I've had no desire or motivation to do anything except sit on my couch and use my laptop. Before, I was cleaning my house, motivated to do things, exercising, etc... It's just really weird for me..

Has anyone else gone through this????

sunnier
04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
did you have any stressful things happening latley, how have your thoughts been lately, maybe that could cause it. i am on Zoloft for the last 4-6 weeks, have bad headaches right now, sometimes i feel anxious for no major reason at all....

good luck..

pamom1980
04-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I had a surgical procedure 2 years ago (novasure) and it got rid of my periods altogether. BUT, I still get symptoms of the "monthly".. I think that I was just going through what would have been my period and combining those symptoms with depression/anxiety-- well, it just got me a bit down. Plus, I've really been having a tough time with my oldest son in the mornings.... But thank you.. :)

laurandisorder
04-29-2012, 02:26 AM
One of the major drawbacks about mixing an anti depressant with a benzo is that the benzo can actually negate the impact of the antidepressant.

It is often the first port of call in terms of medication for anxiety, but the benzo should be the short term solution to deal with panic attacks and anticipatory anxiety, whilst the antidepressant is for longer term treatment to help you get on top of that depression.

This could be the reason that you are feeling a little down.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Mike36
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
If your antidepressants worked initially then there is little chance that they will have stopped working. I wouldn't assume that just because you have had a bad week that this is the end of your improvement. One thing that can be helpful when you have had an improvement and started to do more is to KEEP doing these things even when things get worse. Sometimes it's the extra things that we DO that can maintain our recovery from depression. Exercise and activity can be a great way of getting your recovery back on track.