PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and depression

crispin70
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
After years of depressive episodes I finally started having panic attacks a few weeks ago. All new to me, pains in the chest, tingling legs and hands. Thoughts about my death all the time. It has been a shock but already i am learning to relax and get things in perspective. Walking seems good. Fresh air and positive thinking. It is not great. Then I found this forum, even better to find out I am not alone!

Aimee Singer
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I feel your pain! If you're already depressed than it doesn't seem like much of a leap to having panic attacks. I mean I was a bit of a angsty teenager, but I wasn't really depressed. My situation is kind of the opposite of yours. Your depression led to your panic attacks, and my panic attacks led to my depression. And I will be perfectly honest with you, some days I honestly just wanted to do anything to make it stop. Try your best to not let your mind spiral on you, because one fairly harmless thought can turn into a choatic whirlpool of panic. BUT, even though I'm still having a hard time some days, you CAN GET BETTER. Just please don't start telling yourself "that I will have to deal with this forever" or "there's nothing I can do to fix it" because that's the hardest part to get over. To feel secure in your own skin and your own mind.

Hey, my name is Aimee and I just joined this website too. What's your name? How are you doing??

crispin70
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi Aimee, I'm Crispin, constantly amazed at how much the Internet can help as much as it can make life even more confusing! I went for a long walk with the dog this afternoon, it did us both good!

Aimee Singer
04-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Well that's really good to hear! A little bit of excercise will totally help get rid of some nervous energy. Have you ever tried meditating before? It may sound silly if you haven't tried it before, but I have a pretty fool proof technique that won't cure your anxiety, BUT it will DEFINITELY help you calm down and relax. It's helped me out a lot.

crispin70
04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
I am willing to try anything to try to keep calm. I have considered meditation, but how does your mind not run away with you? And in my house with two little boys under six I don't get much peace and quiet!

BabyfoO
04-26-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm new too literally signed up 10min ago. I feel better just reading through the forums and replying to those I can relate with. I totally agree with exercise and meditation. Believe it or not I started yoga through Ninetendo Wii lol.

I'm dealing with work, home and healthy stress. Health stress as in I think I've got some kind of symptom to everything and will die soon. Sounds funny but it's true. I've gone to see my doctors and been through tests and all came back normal. Paranoid or what?

Anyway thanks for sharing I'll be around too reading through the forums. My name is Reyn if you feel like venting. I'm a really good listener.

crispin70
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Oh yes all that. Positive I'm just about to drop dead, planning my death bed speeches, wondering why me? At 42, too young to die of one of the many diseases I have convinced myself I have. Then pains, tingling all over and then finally off to sleep only to wake up and be fine until I remind myself that I should be terrified and off we go again. It's exhausting.