PDA

View Full Version : Therapist will it help?

CarJim75
04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to see a therapist to help better control my anxiety. What has been your experience(s) with therapy? Thank you.

-Carlos

dave972
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm curious as well...

CarJim75
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes please :)

CarJim75
04-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks Kev! I've been hearing that a lot with successful therapy, focusing on the now more than the past.

I will definitely keep that in mind when my therapy begins. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

laurandisorder
04-24-2012, 02:01 AM
I have been in therapy for 11 years. Little did I know that the old, scary, bespectacled distinctly Freudian looking guy would help save my life and my relationships.

At first it is painful. You'll probably have a whole lot of angst and past memories to untangle and sort through. It certainly isn't easy. Be prepared to be asked a LOT of questions. Be prepared to look at parts of yourself you didn't know existed. Be ready to go deep inside, past the point of comfort.

It also helps. It helped me so much. I would never have been able to fight against the negative 'me' or the voice in my head that told me I would never be good enough. He has given me a lot of perspective. I see him on an as needed basis and we have formed quite a camaraderie.

Good luck with your therapist. It can take a while to find the best person for you, but when you do, it can be a lot easier to start the healing process.