PDA

View Full Version : Constant Struggle

lblanchard
04-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I'll start off by telling my story. 6 months ago I started waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks but was fine other than that. Than 3 months ago I had an emergency surgery and 2 weeks later I had a miscarriage. Since than I can't seem to get a grip on life. I am constantly worried that I am going to have a heart attack or a stroke. I have been to the dr and emergency room more times in the last 3 months than in my whole life. I don't want to get on medication and am fighting everyday with the knowledge that this would probably all go away if I would just take a pill but I don't like to be on medication. This anxiety has caused my body to hurt constantly. Even when I am relaxed my body hurts bc it is so tense all the time. I have an amazing support system with my husband, family and friends but I am constantly on guard bc I am so afraid that something is going to happen to me. I am working with a counselor and she has taught me some really good techniques but I still feel bad more often than I feel good. I know it takes time but I just want it to stop. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to know that this will get better. I know I am so new to this but I feel like the last 3 months have been 2 years. I just want to feel better :-(

CarJim75
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
It will get better! For me, a positive mind set has helped me tremendously. When I feel tense and worried that an anxiety attack is imminent, I remind myself that I'm in control.

I begin breathing techniques, accept the symptoms and sometimes talk to my symptoms, not out loud :) i tell the symptoms that its OK that they are there, i allow them. I know it may sound really out there but it really helps me calm down.

Stay strong!

guitarist
04-23-2012, 12:55 AM
It's hard and it will take time. I know exactely what you are feeling right now. But you are able to get better. It's a good thing you have an amazing support system... that really helps! Because you are so tense your body does hurt indeed. What you could do is try to make your muscles loose. If you could handle it a massage for example or else you could look on the internet what sort of techniques you can do to stretch and relax your muscles.
Acceptance is a big part in your recovery. I know it is hard (I still can't except it after 9 years!), but when you see a little progress you will be able to accept it better. You don't have to take medication to get better. It could help, but maybe it doesn't. Also I would advice you to start doing mindfulness or any other type of meditation/relaxation excercise. It doesn't make everything go away, but being able to relax your body for a while is really nice! It isn't easy to do when you have a lot of anxiety at the moment, but even if it helps 1%... it's something. I also read that taking magnesium and drinking minttea could be helpful. Again... if it helps just a little bit it makes it easier.
Work hard and you will get better!

lblanchard
04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Thank you for your replies. I'm really trying to look and do things a day at a time. It's nice to know that it won't always feel this terrible. Thanks again

Forestwind
10-13-2012, 04:14 AM
Stay strong,it will pass..

rhar
10-21-2012, 03:02 AM
I know this is an old post but I just joined and searched miscarriage.
I know EXACTLY how u were or have been feeling. I had a miscarriage and since then I've constantly been on edge - this has been going on for 9 months. Until last week when I bit the bullet and took my drs advice to start taking Valium. I only take it when I feel anxious. I had become so bad that I couldn't even go to the shops because I'm scared something will happen to me while I'm out. The Valium has already helped, I'm only taking half once a day and I'm starting to feel normal again.

Just wondered how you got on???