PDA

View Full Version : Should I go on Medication?

rockwell8
01-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I've had anxiety problems for a couple months now. It started when I was trying to fall asleep one night and I had a mild panic attack and ended up in the ER. I haven't had a full blown panic attack since then, but anxiety problems have been on my mind.

I'm a 21 year old male, with a history of anxiety in my family (father and sister both on paxil, both doing much better). I'd classify my problems as mild to moderate, but probably getting worse. Physically the only problems I have are uneasy stomach, hot flashes, the "electric shock" feeling in my hands and feet, and some sleeping problems. What really bothers me is the fact that I'm ALWAYS thinking about anxiety whether I'm sitting on my couch or out at the mall or wherever I might be. It's the worst when I'm alone and bored. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm busy doing something (i.e. cooking, cleaning, doing schoolwork), but it's impossible to keep busy all the time obviously. It's really starting to get annoying and negatively affect my life. I'm trying the different self-help techniques with little success.

I'm thinking about going on some sort of medication because I can't get rid of my anxiety over anxiety (that probably sounds weird, but there's really no triggers for the anxiety, it's just always there for no reason really.) I'm not really depressed (I've got great friends and a great family, doing well in college, bright future ahead of me), but i'm afraid I could be in the future if I keep feeling like this.

Does it sound like medication would be helpful for me? Everything I've read says anxiety is easiest to contain/cure when it is dealt with early on, so I want to do something soon. Let me know what you think, I wanna do something before it gets worse! (Sorry for being so long :tongue: )

jitters
01-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Sure if medication works for you go for it, it can certainly improve your quality of life to a point were you can concentrate on the anxiety without the anxiety being triggered and so move forward. Try an SSRI but dont expect instant results you usually get positive results after about 6-8 weeks.

Duncan

hoppipolla
01-14-2007, 02:21 PM
that sucks man... i'm 21 and a guy too btw - and i first experienced it while at uni so we've got a little bit in common! :)

the first thing i would try is herbal or maybe homeopathic remedies which might ease it a bit more naturally, then if the mild things don't work then try the stronger ones.

for me, i'm kinda trying to determine the causes like money worries, uni worries, etc and simplify things and work them out so they don't make me panic so much.

good luck man and any advice you have for me would be very much appreciated too! :)

rockwell8
01-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info...anxiety is a frustrating feeling so it's good to get responses and know that I'm not going through this alone.

hoppipolla, the best advice I can give you from my personal experiences is to pick up a hobby that you enjoy. I've picked up cooking, building things, and playing games online. They are enjoyable and they help take my mind off of my anxiety. For me, my anxiety has no obvious triggers, that's why I am considering medication. If you think your problems are coming from certain triggers such as money, university, etc., it's important to recognize them. Once you know what your anxiety is, you can work to curb it. Track your expenses, make a budget, look for bargains, spend wisely - that might help your money problems. Make up a schedule to study and complete your coursework, being sure you reserve time for breaks. Most importantly, make time to do things you enjoy. Exercise. Talk to people. Good Luck!

V for Victor
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Rockwell's talk of making schedules jogged my memory. Last year, when I was going through the worst wave of anxiety I had for a long time, I started keeping an anxiety journal. I would write down what the anxiety was, what caused it, what time it happened, how long it lasted, and what the outcome was.

This was useful just in being able to go back over it when I was worried and say, "See, that was a bad one, but it turned out fine."

Plus, it can help you spot patterns and stuff.