PDA

View Full Version : Severe Anxiety & Short-Term Disability

Dr0n3
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Ok so here's my story and I'll try to make it concise. I'm a 22 yr old white male living in Chattanooga, TN. I've battled depression and anxiety my whole life. Been inpatient, outpatient, suicide watch, taken every anti-depressant and anti-anxiety med out there, was home schooled because of anxiety during high school, etc... etc...etc... I use to carry great insurance and could afford to treat my problems or at least mask them. Family lost all of their income and I've been caring for myself since 17. I've managed to channel my depression and anxiety into anger and it allows me to function, albeit while hating the world and everyone around me. I have no insurance and work a job serving tables. Recently I've had several events in my life that have brought my anxiety and depression back at its worst. I've had panic attacks trying to go to work and essentially haven't been able to function normally. I went to a walk-in clinic that gave me klonopin and celexa and referred me to a psych/therapist. I was given an excuse for 1 week of work. I went to see the intake counselor at the psych place, told her what was going on, and was written an excuse for 6 weeks off work (was the soonest they could get me an appt. with a psychiatrist). I saw my psychiatrist today and my visit lasted 10 minutes. He told he's not going to refill my klonopin, told me anxiety isn't a reason to miss work, handed me a walmart.com print out for a self help book, completely dismissed that I had any short-term disability claim, and told me to go back to work. I don't understand why I was treated this way. I truly do have anxiety to the point it is debilitating. I was counting on this short-term disability to pay my bills (not to mention I spent several hundred $ on my office visits and scripts). This situation in itself has made my anxiety even worse, I'm on the verge of breaking down as I write this... I've had my job for over 3 years, have paid for my short-term disability since the day I started and should qualify for up to 52 weeks of disability. I can't afford anything better than the "poor people" clinic and I feel like I was treated like someone trying to play the system. What do I do??!?!?

coberender
04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Ok so here's my story and I'll try to make it concise. I'm a 22 yr old white male living in Chattanooga, TN. I've battled depression and anxiety my whole life. Been inpatient, outpatient, suicide watch, taken every anti-depressant and anti-anxiety med out there, was home schooled because of anxiety during high school, etc... etc...etc... I use to carry great insurance and could afford to treat my problems or at least mask them. Family lost all of their income and I've been caring for myself since 17. I've managed to channel my depression and anxiety into anger and it allows me to function, albeit while hating the world and everyone around me. I have no insurance and work a job serving tables. Recently I've had several events in my life that have brought my anxiety and depression back at its worst. I've had panic attacks trying to go to work and essentially haven't been able to function normally. I went to a walk-in clinic that gave me klonopin and celexa and referred me to a psych/therapist. I was given an excuse for 1 week of work. I went to see the intake counselor at the psych place, told her what was going on, and was written an excuse for 6 weeks off work (was the soonest they could get me an appt. with a psychiatrist). I saw my psychiatrist today and my visit lasted 10 minutes. He told he's not going to refill my klonopin, told me anxiety isn't a reason to miss work, handed me a walmart.com print out for a self help book, completely dismissed that I had any short-term disability claim, and told me to go back to work. I don't understand why I was treated this way. I truly do have anxiety to the point it is debilitating. I was counting on this short-term disability to pay my bills (not to mention I spent several hundred $ on my office visits and scripts). This situation in itself has made my anxiety even worse, I'm on the verge of breaking down as I write this... I've had my job for over 3 years, have paid for my short-term disability since the day I started and should qualify for up to 52 weeks of disability. I can't afford anything better than the "poor people" clinic and I feel like I was treated like someone trying to play the system. What do I do??!?!?

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH AXIETY ATTACKS AND PANIC ATTICKS FOR 4 YRS NOW. My job outside the home closed their doors and I do have a part-time home job. I have been on so many meds and drs. that i dont want to anymore! I have a therapist and psychriatrist. I just applie for diability. My diagnos is general anxiety disorder and post tramatic stress disorder and agoraphobia. my therapist told me he would back me up. I thik u need to fnd a different dr. and start over. it just amazes me how these drs. r so willing to give out meds or not give meds and push u out the door! I wish u luck know actually how u feel.

Chris.
04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
hey man, im new to this forum. I think you should go back to the start and request a second opinion.

does the statute that provides authority for the benefit program you would be using automatically exclude anxiety or is this just some quacks personal opinion?

Dr0n3
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
hey man, im new to this forum. I think you should go back to the start and request a second opinion.

does the statute that provides authority for the benefit program you would be using automatically exclude anxiety or is this just some quacks personal opinion?

That's quoted from my plan...I believe that is just his personal opinion. The first thing he said when I walked into the door was if you're just trying to get pills you should get up and walk out now. He said it by telling a story, but this was his point. Kinda gives you an idea of his attitude towards me from the get go.

"Short term disability coverage applies to a non-work related sickness or injury. Coverage also includes:

Pregnancy, childbirth or any complications.
Mental health, drug and alcohol treatment if these conditions prevent you from performing your job."