PDA

View Full Version : Psychologist shopping - hypnosis experience?

laurandisorder
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi there everyone.

I am currently in the process of selecting a psychologist to help me with my anxiety... I'm not sure whether I am a GAD or PD person - I haven't asked my psychiatrist - I don't really need bother label or diagnosis!!

Anyway. The psychologist that my psychiatrist usually works with is booked out and can't take new patients until July. I really need to see someone before this, as I feel that this recent bout of anxiety has been going on too long. I need to heal the link between my body and mind and learn some techniques from a professional to help me combat negative thoughts. Like many of you, I have some literature that recommends and discusses CBT, but I want to talk about my situation with someone.

So I have been looking for someone on my area who can help treat me for anxiety, the panic attacks and possibly my Eating Disorder (I'm pretty much recovered from this, but my Doctor thinks they are all connected because the anxiety started after I stopped partaking in ED behaviours). I have noticed a lot of the panic and anxiety disorder psychologists use CBT and hypnosis.

Have any of you tried hypnosis? I'm not sure that it would be beneficial for anxiety or panic attacks, but I am intrigued as I think it might help me with my phobia of flying (and my paranoia that I will have a panic attack on the plane).

laurandisorder
04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Edit**
I also wonder whether the hypnosis is something that could help me quit smoking.
I really want to quit by my 30th birthday (July) and my smoking has sky rocketed in this recent bout of anxiety. I have gone from 2 packs a week (50) to 4-5 packs (100+) a week in the last few months. It's costing me almost $100 a week, which adds up to a lot of money!!