PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better?

Lexie1425
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I've had a very bad week with my anxiety -- to the point where every time I am driving alone I get it, at work, at home by myself -- it's greatly affecting my every day living. Last week I decided I wanted to speak with a more specialized doctor other than my family doctor. Their solution seems to be just get on medication. So my question is, which one do you think is better to see about this, a psychologist or a psychiatrist? I have an appointment this week with a psychologist but I didn't know if I should be seeing a doctor who can prescribe medicine, just in case they think I really need something to get out of this funk I am. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lexie

bhamlaxy
04-15-2012, 02:02 AM
In my mind, medicine can help in the short term. I had a horrible experience with marijuana (combined with stress) a month ago and have had bad anxiety since. I've started working on things on my own and with a therapist, but don't know where I'd be without small doses of Ativan when things get bad. It has certainly prevented some bad panic attacks. It is also a mere bandaid, not fixing anything, with addiction potential. We are thinking of doing a low dose of an anti-depressant to help me stay functional while we work things out but I'm not sure.

Your psychologist should be able to recommend very quickly if they think seeing a psychiatrist and using some form of medicine is needed. But in my opinion you should always try and work things out. Medicine won't solve anything, it just hides it for awhile.

ladywillow
04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey Lexie!

Medication and therapy together work better than medication alone. I think it is important for anyone going through anxiety to see a psychologist. I personally see both psychologist and psychiatrist. I am on antidepressants AND going through therapy. That is the best combo for me :)