PDA

View Full Version : I feel horrible about what I did

okami1995
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
As of late, I keep feeling immense guilt over something I did several years ago. It was about seven years ago, as I was about ten at the time. I don't want to go into too much detail, but to put it simply, I physically harmed my dog. Not too hard or anything, but still. It was only that one day. I know at the time I was a child, and I wasn't as empathic as I am now, and I basically let my immature anger towards the dog get the best of me, but that doesn't help me let it go. This dog has been here my entire life, since I was nearly three, and she's a member of the family, so of course, I love her a lot and she means a lot to me, so remembering this event causes me to hate myself over it. I don't know how I can get past this.

anxiousmess
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
you just need to let it go.
when i was a child, i pulled a cats tail. not overly hard, but enough to where the cat didn't like it.

i was so young i can't remember why i would have done such a thing.

but, that isn't the type of person i am today. nor was i then, really. i don't know why i did it. i never done anything like that again.
everybody has done things as a child that they now regret.

i do feel bad about it - but i can't let that bad feeling rule me, as i know i'm not like that!

mommy.n
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Okami.....do these things bother you only when you have anxiety? How about when don't or haven't had anxiety?
I have theses thoughts too, stupid little things from when I was younger that my sis in law & husband tell me are sooo silly and can't believe they bother me. When I was doing well & had no anxiety for a few long streaks, they don't bother me as much. I'd love to know if you come up with any tips.
I find when I do feel better about certain things, there is something telling me & making me feel like they were such horrible things.

Just letting u know your not alone

okami1995
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
this was the worst thing I ever did to my dog, but also, I smacked her a few times when I was a child, and once or twice in my teenage years. I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for these things.