PDA

View Full Version : genetic or life event?

mccallie
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey! I was just curious of who believes their anxiety is genetic and who had a life changing even that has brought on this current anxiety? Thanks for the input.

C McCall

ez86
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I think that I was predisposed to anxiety genetically, however, I feel like life events are what pushed it to become a problem for me. The pressure of being 25 and not being where I thought I wanted to be at 25 coupled with a lot of things just not going my way over the last few years has put a lot of pressure on me. I think that this sparked the anxiety disorder even if there have been underlying symptoms all my life. It is probably a bit of both for most people. Just IMO :) How about you?

mccallie
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I think it is both as well. My mother has post traumatic stress and maybe a little bit of depression. I'm sure it's in my genes. Plus there are life events that have caused me to have attacks...school, work, relationships. I have worked hard to overcome them. My issue now is not passing them on to my son. I don't want him to learn the behavioral part of them. Hopefully he wont get the gene either!

anxiousmess
04-07-2012, 03:40 PM
i definitely think it's both.
my family all have anxiety disorders is some way!
i do feel as though it would have been manageable, had it not been for certain snippets of my life.