PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety, fear & Xanax

Liam Matthew McDade
04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey there everyone! :)

I'm new here so, I suppose I should give a bit of my background.

I've suffered from chronic anxiety and panic attacks for about 18 months now and I've tried Lexapro and Paroxetine. The evil far out weighed the good when it came to those sadly. I'm constantly afraid of everything; be it of dying, people "judging" me when I walk down the road, Panic Attacks...basically, it's taken over my life.

At the moment, I'm starting to take Xanax...but I'm afraid of it. Not because I have an addictive personality but I'm afraid it will harm me. I have 0.25mg tabs but at this stage...I only take a quarter of that just in case I have a reaction to it and basically, I'd really appreciate if someone could clear up some questions I have about Xanax so I can fight my fears.

Does anyone here have experience taking 0.25mg or higher Xanax? How does it make you feel when you know it's working? Are there any effects I should be aware of that maybe a Doctor forgot to mention?

I'm afraid to let myself relax when I take it...and at the moment, my panic attacks can easily over power a quarter of a 0.25mg tablet.

Any advice would be great guys :)

jeremyfresno
04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey there everyone! :)

I'm new here so, I suppose I should give a bit of my background.

I've suffered from chronic anxiety and panic attacks for about 18 months now and I've tried Lexapro and Paroxetine. The evil far out weighed the good when it came to those sadly. I'm constantly afraid of everything; be it of dying, people "judging" me when I walk down the road, Panic Attacks...basically, it's taken over my life.

At the moment, I'm starting to take Xanax...but I'm afraid of it. Not because I have an addictive personality but I'm afraid it will harm me. I have 0.25mg tabs but at this stage...I only take a quarter of that just in case I have a reaction to it and basically, I'd really appreciate if someone could clear up some questions I have about Xanax so I can fight my fears.

Does anyone here have experience taking 0.25mg or higher Xanax? How does it make you feel when you know it's working? Are there any effects I should be aware of that maybe a Doctor forgot to mention?

I'm afraid to let myself relax when I take it...and at the moment, my panic attacks can easily over power a quarter of a 0.25mg tablet.

Any advice would be great guys :)

Hey liam,

I have take xanax o.25mg as a matter of fact I still have some but I keep it just for emergency! Xanax can be quite addictive so just be careful and take it only when you need it...keep in mind 0.25mg is a tiny dose!!! think of it as dust lol but it was able to calm me down pretty good when I really needed it..The only side effect you will feel is drowsiness other then that you're golden...Dont be afraid to take it once in a while it helps but just be careful on how much you take it...I was taking mine for 2 weeks straight cause I would have panic attack daily but then I got a little more control of them and I havent taken xanax since january....

I also have a question for you! I just started taking paroxetine (Paxil) why didnt it work for you? what MG were you on? And what major side effects did you feel with it? Today is my 6th day taking 10mg and after this week im going to increase to 20mg...My doctor says it will help me alot...I havent felt any real side effects as of now just a little nausea and an increase in anxiety thats about it at the moment....what do you think? help me out

Liam Matthew McDade
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply :D

How did you feel when you took Xanax? I want to know so I don't panic when I feel different :/

I started on 20mg Paxil and...I had constant headaches, didn't want to to eat and it made me really irritated. I only gave it three weeks because I couldn't cope any more on it.

jeremyfresno
04-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Honestly xanax made me relax pretty instant....Its a good feeling nothing to be afraid of....It makes you feeling panicy go away...The only thing you feel is drowsiness thats all....Dont worry about taking it its a small dosage liam.....you'll be ok.....I only took it in emergency though....please if you have any other questions keep asking you dont bug me! :)

Now on paroxetine....I feel like I lose a little appetite cause of the nasea.....Now did your doctor start you on 20mg or did he start you of on 10mg and slowly increased????
other then those side effects you didnt feel anyother serious side effects like suicide or anything like that I should worry about??????

Liam Matthew McDade
04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Cool! :) What was the highest dose of Xanax you took? I take a quarter a day to kind of prove to myself that it won't kill me lol and at that dose, I'm not doing any damage.

I started straight away on 20mg, the same with Lexapro. On Lexapro, I used to get bouts of *serious* bad feelings, absolute despair but never suicidal thoughts but nothing like that on Paroxetine.

jeremyfresno
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
0.25 has been the only dose I've taken....You will be safe man dont worry! It really helped me get through a though period where I would have panic attacks one day after another....

so I should be good on paroxetine you think??
I feel pressure in my head at times like a dull headache but I've had those even before paroxetine....check out my videos too man on youtube....maybe you can relate!! Any more question??? :)

Liam Matthew McDade
04-04-2012, 07:52 PM
I'll take a look at your vids, definitely :)

My advice would be, you should be ok as most are, but if you feel anything weird then contact your Doc just in case!

I hope Xanax will stop me freaking out on a plane journey I'm due to take in two weeks ><

jeremyfresno
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
I think if I would have had a bad reaction I would have had it already too! Don't you think??

The think with Xanax is that it works only short term....so take it right before you get on the plane and you will be good

PanicCured
04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Liam, I was taking .4 Mg at one time 1-2 times a day a few days a week. That is almost double of what you're taking,. I have taken double that which is .8 mg which wold be over 3 times the dosage of what you're taking. At that dose it made me sleepy. I was taking 2 mg Klonopins and I ended up addicted. Addicted meaning physical withdrawal occurred when I didn't take it for a few days. I then had to go on a little by little withdrawal program which was an enormous pain in the ass! I am now Benzo free!

Xanax, due to its enormously short half life the withdrawals are worse or as bad as heroine withdrawal. This is serious stuff to play with.

BUT DO NOT WORRY! You don't get addicted in 1 week and you are taking a low dose. I know from experience, that drugs is not the answer. What I suggest to you, is to understand Benzos are seriously addicting, and they should only be a temporary solution. Getting off them is a serious problem! Go ahead and take it on the plane. That's ok! Although 0.25- 0.5 mg Klonopins may work too. They last longer than Xanax. I would not take 2 mg like I was though. Just do not take Benzos regularly and know that your anxiety can be cured, if you follow the proper steps. Then one day you wont need any drug and you will get through it on your own. There is no clear cut answer how long it takes to become addicted. I read 8 weeks daily for most people. You can do your own research and see.

Liam Matthew McDade
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey Panic,

I know it has to be a short term solution. I hate pills and I hate meds but sadly, I've been forced to fly and I just need to be able to cope the three hours without freaking out.

jeremyfresno
04-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey Liam one more question....was getting off paroxetine hard? Did you ween off or did you stop cold turkey? We're there any side effects to that?

PanicCured
04-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Hey Panic,

I know it has to be a short term solution. I hate pills and I hate meds but sadly, I've been forced to fly and I just need to be able to cope the three hours without freaking out.

That's why I said there's nothing wrong with that!

Eventually I suggest you do try to get to the root of your fear of flying issue though. In the meantime there's nothing wrong, in my opinion, of popping some Xanax or K-pins.

Just remember, flying is extremely, unbelievably safe! Turbulence is totally normal and expected when the airplane is manufactured.

Have a nice trip!

knp
04-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I have been using l theanine for mental calmness
Inositol for physical anxiety and also take b complex that is my happy pill hope this help

Be brave