PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety causing depression? Please help

brittany09
04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone,I'm new. I'm 20 years old and was diagnosed with GAD a couple years ago. I've had only a couple bad cycles of it,usually it's manageable. At the worst I'm excited,pacing around finding stuff to do and feel fine within the hour. I go through weeks of none at all. A couple weeks ago my anxiety was so bad I couldn't even function. My boyfriend had to take care of me. Eating and showering were both almost impossible. I was having panic attacks and not wanting to leave the house. I did a few times,forcefully,and it was scary for me because I was fearing having more panic attacks. What was just as alarming as the attacks was the detachment I felt from the world. I was going to bed early because that was the only way to get away from it. This went on for about 5 days. The anxiety has reduced,but now I'm feeling something new. Depressed

I still don't want to leave my house,and usually I can't stay here for more than a day straight without going and doing something! I've completely quit exercising. I'm crying so much it's embarrassing because I have no reason to cry. I still feel like everything is not real. I have made improvements. I'm able to do housework,shower,eat. My memory is better. But still I feel so sad and unmotivated...and the fear of leaving my house is really affecting me. I usually visit my parents a few times a week,go for walks,shop,etc. And I haven't done any of those things. When I did,it was unpleasant.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm wondering when I should go see a doctor? It's probably normal to feel sad for a little while after anxiety but it's been a week. I don't want to become depressed for a long time or scared to leave my house. But I also don't want to start a medication that is unnecessary and possibly have side effects. I just want to feel like myself again. I'm hoping I will snap out of it. Thanks for reading,and please give advice if you have any for me.

Kevin Nietzman
04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I think it wouldn't hurt letting your doctor know what's been going on. If you don't feel like using any medications then you don't have to right! I can totally feel myself in "I'm crying so much it's embarrassing because I have no reason to cry." and "I still feel like everything is not real.". And if anxiety isn't enough, depression comes to join in! I know this might sound a bit like mumbo jumbo but, have you tried breathing excercises? They do help me a little, and every little bit of help is welcome right?!

It isn't easy dealing with anxiety and depression at the same time, so I think you're very strong and it's great you can do your homework, showering and eating again. The way I see it, the war might not be over, but you won a big battle there! And if you keep being strong and brave, the depression and anxiety will have to face their defeat sooner than you think!

anxiousmess
04-10-2012, 05:39 AM
i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! i can relate to everything you said!

i definitely think letting the doctor know would be a good idea.
you don't need to accept meds, you could always choose therapy - which is really good! not only do they help you help yourself, they give you techniques on how to cope during an attack :)

anxiety and depression often go hand in hand. i think it's quite rare for somebody to be dealing with one, without the other showing it's ugly head at some point!

longliveswift
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
i dont know if this will make you feel better, but you are not alone dude!! im so scared to tell the doctor my situation, but i know its what i should do, and i think you should do the same! (i know im being hypocritical here...). i suffer from anxiety and depression and i know how horrible it can be!
hope you get well soon:)

-longliveswift xxxx

brittany09
04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much everyone for replying. Really it helps just knowing somebody knows how I feel. I made a doctor's appointment and cancelled it because I keep telling myself I feel better. I do,then I don't and do and don't. Anxiety is the main problem now. If I don't feel anxious,I'm afraid of having a panic attack,tense or just feeling weird. I still am forcing myself to leave the house. So I've been doing all my shopping at gas stations and dollar stores so I can get out of there right away and go home. Basically avoiding every public place. I refuse to drive on my own either. So that means I'm not capable of working,which I've been unemployed for a while but still..want to be able to work and not have to pass up a good oppurtunity. I hate how this changes my personality. I'm usually so independent now just feeling like I'm needy and about to crack any second. Ugh

How are you all doing? What is helping you cope?