PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Cannas
01-08-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm new and I'm interested in learning about Panic Disorder. I myself don't have it but someone I know does. I would like some information about it. Thank you

jitters
01-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Anxiety attack disorder (panic attack disorder) affects 13% of the world’s adult population (ages 18 to 54). You're friend is not alone.

While everyone experiences brief stress and anxiety caused by a stressful event, anxiety and/or stress disorder is recurring, persistent, can get worse over time, and often restricts the individual's lifestyle. Panic Attacks are caused by the bodys fight or flight response being triggered off. his releases adrenaline, cortozone and a whole host of other chemicals into the blood stream causing a number of physical symptoms. Often when an individual has these kind of episodes they Fear they are dying or have some kind of Terminal or Severe Physical Illness as the symptoms can mimick those caused by a number of other illnesses. This increases the fear and therefore the body spirals into a panic attack. It is important to note that the cause of a panic attack is not always obvious and that the person concerned will more ften than not end up in the ER at least once with their symptoms.

This condition can affect a person both physically and psychologically. It often starts with intermittent underlying symptoms, and over time, can be followed by persistent intensified symptoms.

Some of the internal symptoms of anxiety disorder include:

* Feeling dizzy, light-headed or like they are going to pass out
* Weak legs (often referred to as Rubber Legs)
* Choking, feeling like there’s a lump or something stuck in their throat
* Chest pain
* An intense feeling of impending doom or fear
* Blurred vision
* Difficulty concentrating
* Diminished short term memory
* Feeling overwhelmed
* Excessive or lack of energy
* Chronic fatigue
* Always on edge, or chronically grouchy
* Depressed
* Startle easily, jumpy, fidgety
* Shooting pains in various parts of the body
* Numbness in the limbs or face
* Muscles are very tense, and sometimes to the point of pain
* Nauseous

Some of the external symptoms can include:

* Profuse sweating, hot and cold flashes
* Trembling or shaking uncontrollably
* Have to leave in a hurry
* Frightened, terrified
* Uncontrollable muscle twitching
* Extremity tingling
* Shortness of breath, rapid and shallow breathing
* Nervous
* Increased heart rate, palpitations
* Frequently having to go to the washroom
* Can’t relax
* Dramatic mood swings
* Jolting awake
* Insomnia, sleep problems
* A constant craving for sweets, chocolate
* Constantly angry, irritable, impatient
* Can’t take too much pressure
* Blushing
* Afraid of confined spaces
* Excessively focused on their symptoms and how they are feeling
* Feeling like they will lose their mind
* Panicky

Those who experience these conditions are generally intelligent, creative, passionate, caring, and excitable people. However, they can become inward-focused, frightened, short-tempered, confused, discouraged, distant, uncaring, and seemingly hypochondriatic once any of these disorders become established.

These conditions can be hard to understand from a non-sufferer’s point of view, and they are even harder to understand as a sufferer. While sufferers may look okay on the outside, it’s often a raging battle on the inside.

The physical symptoms are very real because of the biochemical change that affects the brain, nervous system, endocrine system and a wide range of other systems in the body. This biological change produces an out-of-balance body chemistry, which is the reason for the many symptoms anxiety disorder sufferers experience.

The biological change also affects the individual’s thoughts and emotions, since both are influenced by the brain, nervous system and endocrine system.

The severity of the condition will determine the degree and frequency of symptoms. For those who experience intermittent episodes of their disorder(s), their symptoms may come and go with the degree of stress in their lives, since stress is a major contributor and aggravator of anxiety, stress, depression, and sleep disorder.

However, for those with a persistent condition, their symptoms may become entrenched and vary from moment to moment.

Some of the best treatments come in the form of CBT (Cognative Behavioural Therapy) and SSRI (Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) drugs.

If you want to know anything more specific let me know.

Duncan