PDA

View Full Version : Hi im new...

brittney
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Suffer from PTSD and its ruining my life!!! I have attacks that last months at a time sometimes!!! I've been on Ativan and can't find a doc to give me more! I feel like I can't breath and it's awful, it's like I have to yawn to get a good breath. Anyone have any ideas of what will help? Thanks.

ladywillow
03-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi brittney, welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Have you spoken to your doctor about seeing a psychiatrist? Also, you may want to look into EMDR. Apparently it works well for PTSD.

jeremyfresno
03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi britney

sorry to hear you went through a rough and tough time!! I personally went through a lot to and think my anxiety got triggered due to ptsd as well....I was on xanax for my panic attack but eventually I was able to get more control of my anxiety and stopped taking my xanax....Therapy helps try doing that....also try to reduce stress in your life cause that will make your anxiety a living hell

Jeremy

brittney
03-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys.?

alankay
03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Britt, you should be able to find a doc to Rx for ativan or other benzo but you really should start a SSRI med like zoloft, celexa, paxil or prozac to help keep your anxiety under better control. Most docs shy away from just the benzo as over time, the dose will sometimes need to go up but if an ssri is being taken you'll need the benzo less often and that will help keep the tolerance to the med from building up much. Alankay.

j2005
03-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Brit,

You don't need the drugs. You need to work through this and experience recovery.

The breathing issue is normal anxiety sensation. It won't harm you, it's just uncomfortable.

When you have the problem catching a deep breath, just accept it, tell yourself it's just anxiety that's all. Welcome it.
Don't fear it.

While you may not be able to control it, you can practice not reacting to it.

You'll work through this.

James