PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like I can't move at night.

PhobiasLiveInMe
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I know this is probably just anxiety, I mean...it's all anxiety related when you suffer...right?, but on rare occasions when I'm trying to fall asleep I get these moments where I know I'm awake, yet I can't move. It's almost the sensation of trying to wake yourself up.

I know I'm being irrational, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

PanicCured
03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I have experienced this many many times ever since I was a child. I have put a lot o thought into what this could be. This hasn't really happened to me in a long time though. I can't remember the last time it happened, but it was happening a lot for me for a while. It was like I was in an in between waking and sleeping state and I had to forcefully wake myself up to get out of it. Or Sometimes I would let go and see what happens. It was like my brain was awake but my body was asleep. It started scaring me when I wasn't able to breathe in that state. Then I learned to breathe in it. I think it is kind of like an out of body experience waiting to happen or something out of the ordinary waiting to happen. I would like others thoughts on this because I haven't quite figured it out. I know that reading before bed, or excessive pondering and thinking before bed would trigger it.

laurandisorder
03-27-2012, 02:15 AM
It's a thing called sleep paralysis and you should feel lucky, only about 10% of people experience it.

I'm a very vivid dreamer and have experienced it a lot, especially of I oversleep. It doesn't have anything to do with anxiety, though it can be quite disconcerting.

As far as I recall, from what I read about it a while back, as with sleep 'jerks', doctors cant really explain what it is. But it isn't dangerous or life threatening or anything like that.

Laur

PhobiasLiveInMe
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Lucky? Not really a word I would choose.
But yes, PanicCured. That is exactly what I go through. I just suck at wording things sometimes. Mine usually happen when I get too much sleep as well. Or when I've had a day of high anxiety. This is usually the reason I try to get at least eight of sleep at night and avoid taking unnecessary naps. Thanks for putting my mind at ease laurandisorder.

anxiousmess
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
yep deffo sounds like sleep paralysis. it happened to me once, and thank god it never happened again! it was one of the most scariest things!

inosantoclaws
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Sound real scary.