PDA

View Full Version : Talking to my roommate about my anxiety

ez86
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
My anxiety started taking over my life about 3 1/2 months ago. At first, I didn't talk to anyone about it. My main source of anxiety (I now know that it was my anxiety driving the source and not the other way around) is a sensitive subject - obsessing over my sexual orientation. Eventually I started talking to friends and even family about it. I started seeing a counselor and now I am on medication. At this point, I have mentioned at least some of this to almost everyone in my day to day life out side work. That is, except my roommate.

I'm not sure why exactly I have a hard time talking to her. She is a pretty judgmental person, so that might be part of it. I guess the biggest issue is that every time I try to ease into a conversation with her, she either blows me off or starts talking about herself.

Saturday I had a bit of a freak out. I ended up unannounced hitching a ride with her to my parents house (I have my own car). I thought "well, she is going to ask what is going on now - its my chance to come clean." However, she just ignored me for the entire ride.

Does anyone have any guidance in how to approach this situation? It would make me feel better to have the person I'm living with know about my anxiety.

sarahbeth
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
I used to have similar troubles ,so in the end I wrote what I wanted to say and left the letter where my friend would find it, or I would email or text. It's some times easier because a letter can't be interrupted or blown off as easily and it may in provoke a conversation about issues mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Sarah x

inosantoclaws
03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
It good to have someone you can trust.